Where to get .030" Cu spacers other than the Shoppe?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to get a few more .030" Cu spacers, but the shipping cost from the Shoppe is many times the cost of the spacers (and I don't need anything else...already bought all the items I need from Wayne). Anyone know of another place I can get .030" Cu spacers to lift up emitters for proper focus?

Thanks!

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it seems my only option is to buy the Cu sheet and punch them out myself. But can normal hole punches (used for paper) punch through the Cu?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes and no. You can get foil which will be weaker than paper. I don't remember what gauge .03" sheet is, but you could easily cut and file them out with a pair of either really buff scissors or metal shears. Use a clamp and sand a stack (file) all at the same time to the same size.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it seems my only option is to buy the Cu sheet and punch them out myself. But can normal hole punches (used for paper) punch through the Cu?

I've not tried it, but I really don't think so. Aviation snips followed by a few strokes with a file can get it very round. (I've done this)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I use a sanded penny.
Make sure you use pre-1982 pennies. The ones after that are all copper-plated zinc. Some percentage of 1982 cents were also copper, but the only way to tell is to listen to the sound when you drop it, or to weigh it on a very sensitive scale. A copper coin will make slightly deeper sound, and is also heavier (3.11 gm versus 2.50 gm).

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you use pre-1982 pennies. The ones after that are all copper-plated zinc. Some percentage of 1982 cents were also copper, but the only way to tell is to listen to the sound when you drop it, or to weigh it on a very sensitive scale. A copper coin will make slightly deeper sound, and is also heavier (3.11 gm versus 2.50 gm).

Or if you take the penny and run it down a good-size file. Copper pennies will still be orange on the inside, Copper-clad zinc pennies will be silvery.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done the penny thing (and have been separating my pennies based on year ever since), but the spacers I'm looking for are small, about the diameter of the LED body (similar size to the slug) as sold at the Shoppe. That would take a lot of grinding to bring down the diameter of a penny to that size.

I guess I could look for a Cu sheet and maybe cut it with shears and sand it round.