Ideas for building a lightsaber?

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
Ive been wanting to build myself a lightsaber to use for halloween etc, and figured maybe you guys could help me out on ideas for how to make one.

Currently there are a few places you can buy pre-made lightsaber replicas, they come in 2 flavors...electroluminescent and neon.

The EL variety is nice because its tough stuff, and resonably bright. The neon/plasma variety are alot brighter, but use glass blades so they are extremely fragile.

I have been looking around for ways to make a lightsaber which would be brighter than the EL variety, yet still be tough enough to have lightsaber fights with.

So far this is what I have come up with.

The base handle should end up at around 12" long by 1.5" around (roughly the size of a 3 D cell mag).

Blade length should be around 40" total, figuring about 4 inches should go into the handle for strength and stability.

The best idea I have come up with so far would be to use a super bright LED as the light source (Luxeon 5W seems to be the current top dog) to light up a polycarbonate tube with SideGlow fiber-optic cable run through it.

I was just wondering if you guys thought something like this would be possible? Would a LS 5W white be enough to brightly light 3-4 feet of SideGlow cable? Would you be able to fit the electronics for a 5W LS in a 1.5" outer diameter tube around 6" long?

In this case brightness would be more important than battery life, but durability is also a key factor as it would see occasional use as a sword.

Any thoughts, better ideas, etc?
Thanks
Aeryk

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Here ya go:

15inchgreen.jpg

And here's the web site. But it's only 15 inches long (yeah that's what she said last night too)...

But you'd have to add a handle anyway, so it'd be a little longer at least.

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
lightsaberreplicas.com is a nice sight for info about the materials used to make the original film props, but their prices are positively rediculous.

If I wanted to buy an off the shelf model I would get it from either...

http://www.lightechindustries.com/
-or-
http://www.parksabers.com/

Those lightsticks are great novelty items, but totally not what I am looking for, I want something battery powered...push a button to turn it on, etc...I wouldnt want to have to hold my lightsaber under a lightsource for a minute to charge it up, then turn off all the lights just to see it...

I want something bright, tough, and battery powered. So far the Luxeon + SideGlow is looking like the best option.

Aeryk

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
I was thinking of mounting a hi-output green laser on a small drum about an inch across attached to a small DC motor, the laser can either run off its own power or draws through a commutator. What happens then is an illusion of a beam of solid light, with practice and lenses it can be`shaped to not extend past 36-48"

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
LaserNerd,

I didnt mean for the post to come off sounding like that, I have been to their website numerous times, they have alot of good information. I would just never buy one of their replicas, far too expensive for what you get.

Aeryk

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
Cool idea Ramsey, I dont think I would ever try that, too easy to end up blinding someone while swinging it around.

It does give me an idea though...use a laser diode to light some sideglow wire...it would limit the color to red unless you want to fork out a ton for a green, but a laser would definately be bright enough to light up a couple feet of SideGlow cable.

Aeryk

Atrick-Pay

Newly Enlightened
Here is what I'm thinking of useing for my
Fighting Art (Kali) at night.

http://www.stickman-escrima.com/Products/Hits.htm
Plus come colorered paper in the middle,
and a CMG Infinity Ultra makes a tight fit INSIDE the tube.
Or duct tape a ARC-LS (Same O.D. as the stick) to the end.

I haven't made one I will well enough to use at my
school but it does work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif AND YOU CAN'T BREAK IT!

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
Thats pretty much what I had in mind for the outter shell on the blade, its made of Lexan or a similar high impact polycarbonate. Much tougher stuff than standard acrylic.

I would probably go with 3/4" outter diameter x 1/2" inner diameter x 1/8" wall thickness, makes for a super tough tube.

Aeryk