LED Mafia and Incadescent Technology

Esthan

Enlightened
Today I have realized, that there must be a LED lobby out there, that is trying to terrorize us and move us away from the undependable and outdated incandescent technology.

First the Evil Ones arranged things in such a manner, that no matter where we go we are always reminded that LED are nearly indestructible, will not burn out like a bulb and will likely last for a lifetime. C'mon: compared to those 100.000 hours lifetime of LED those lousy 50-100h of a bulb is a middle age technology.... Then the economy has been taken hostage and agreed to work for the them, better runtimes hence lower costs.

We have been brainwashed for so long, that just like a herd of sheep we followed their orders and abandoned the Yellow Road of Sudden Darkness and turned to the true road of White Light Output. Even I got so brainwashed, that I was scared to buy a filament based torch that could shatter upon a smallest vibration.... So many posts about it after all.....

The Yellow light began its slow ascent into nothingness...... Lonesome, abandoned, unloved, forgotten and finally laughed at.

:candle:

And then, this morning some idiot shined me in directly the eyes with his badly regulated (vertical axis :p) car lights... And it hit me....

I've been a sheep. Just like this ones:
sheep.jpg

or the Carroty one ;)

These "middle aged" bulbs are in each car, shine each day and manage to handle all those nasty shocks, current and voltage instabilities. How could I have missed it in the first place is a mystery to me... Must be some evil brainwashing force out there :D

How could I have allowed my logic to be shut off and ignore such facts as:
- Filament and it's support are lightweight and thus have a very low inertia that IMO is the prime cause of "bulb death" upon falling to the ground.
- All those car bulbs operate quite long in far worse conditions than a pocket lamp would ever be subjected to (Shock, Temperature etc)
- The filaments that I have at my home (had the pleasure of visiting a Factory that is manufacturing machines that wind the wire into filament) are far from fragile.

Have I been brainwashed or simply silly ? :thinking:

Be aware my fellow CPF'ers. There is an evil force somewhere around as trying to influence us :cool:

P.S. That above is just some fuzzy theory to make You smile, the fact is, that after reading JS post I got myself an A2 Aviator in February. It changed me :D and since then I view Incans a bit differently. All Torches got sold....

There can be only one ;)

Last edited:

Learjet

Enlightened
Is this another LED vrs Incan thread?:dedhorse:

I've been a LED only guy for a while but I have to say I have been bitten by a bug. A hotwire bug. I've only just realised how cool (hot?) these things are. Browsing through the custom and mod forum there is fun to be had modding mags and building really bright lights. Brighter than LED by 10-100 times. I'm starting at the bottom with a ROP but even this lowly mod kicks butt! Sure the bulbs go:poof:but we do drive them to and past their limits!

I never realised you can burn holes through garbage bags and set paper on fire with a "torch". There is much fun to be had with Incans!

Now which mod to next... I need more power Scotty! :devil:

Last edited:

mchlwise

Enlightened
Now if someone could only stuff a headlight bulb into a 1AA form-factor without losing any brightness or throw... :faint:

:whistle:

vandrecken

Newly Enlightened
Well said that man !

Much more fun to be had building hotwires.

As for LED's, once you have a small set to cover all your needs for portability, variable brightness, color, long runtime - say six or so - I don't see any need for more :p Just swap them out each time a new one comes along that does the same thing but goes brighter / runs longer / gives a better color !

Gotta get me an A2 ! Does anyone mod them to dump the LED's and just have a regulated light with a clean beam pattern ?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...I will do this favor for you. In return I will ask you to illuminate something in the future with no questions asked..."

-Don Corleone

BSBG

Enlightened
Gotta get me an A2 ! Does anyone mod them to dump the LED's and just have a regulated light with a clean beam pattern ?

That seems a little extreme - the LED's provide just enough 'walking around' light to justify keeping them. Otherwise you need a photon in your pocket too :)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Sigh....these puny, limp wristed LED capguns and their Scientology-like brainwashed owners have a mega-oedipal complex of interplexed inadequacies.

It is truly hysterical to see their fanboys writhe about in perverted cacophonies of 'lumenary' bliss when the latest Korean neighborhood strikes up yet another semi-conducted bauble.

LED's are as boring as watching paint dry. You see one, you have seen them all.

One after another, the thumb-sized, custom lathed cylindrical lemmings spew forth from Mount Doom hoping to conquer The Land of Incand.....only to be vanquished endlessly into the trasheap of mediocrity.

Wake me up when you find Galadriel's Light of Eärendil.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
- All those car bulbs operate quite long in far worse conditions than a pocket lamp would ever be subjected to (Shock, Temperature etc)
Some good points but vibration is not the same as shock. If you were to drop a car headlight from waist height onto concrete (or asphalt) without those lovely soft air filled tyres/tires and suspension, what do you think would happen?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
...so why does Mag feel the need to include a spare bulb in the base of their incandescent lights, since those filaments are all sturdy and everything? :whistle:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think one reason the incans in your car work so well is that they are designed for robustness as opposed to efficiency (which trade off against each other in filament design). There are bushels of watts to burn in a car having a BIG battery and an alternator for power. If you want a self contained incan flashlight, you'll need to give up some (a lot?) of that robustness to keep from having to carry a lead acid battery around with you to power the thing.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only girls use stock mags.
:ironic: So Luxy dear, why do girls (or anyone else) have a spare bulb supplied to them in the tailcap of their Maglite?

I think one reason the incans in your car work so well is that they are designed for robustness as opposed to efficiency (which trade off against each other in filament design). There are bushels of watts to burn in a car having a BIG battery and an alternator for power.
+1. I was going to say something like that but I'm glad I didn't because you said it so much better.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think one reason the incans in your car work so well is that they are designed for robustness as opposed to efficiency (which trade off against each other in filament design). There are bushels of watts to burn in a car having a BIG battery and an alternator for power.

This is a valid point. There are "rough service" and "long life" incandescent bulbs that have extra-sturdy filaments with additional support structures inside that are designed for long life rather than efficiency. I've used some of them in the past in lighting fixtures in really high ceilings. Their lumens/watt ratio stinks but that's not the most important consideration in a hard-to-reach location.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
:ironic: So Luxy dear, why do girls (or anyone else) have a spare bulb supplied to them in the tailcap of their Maglite?

Torchy Toddler, obviously it is to make them think they are getting a good deal. Don't worry whenever the bulb burns out they won't remember or notice the sponge covering the bulb anyway. :shakehead

There are tons of incan bulbs that are rated at 4,000 & 5,000 hours at default specified voltage....for example this 12V 90W 1800 BL Osram bulb that we crank up to 20,000+ lumens in the "DeathBlaster."

All hail....Sauron's minions are upon us. Woe are we.

o0o

Enlightened
We need more regulated incandescents. Surefire... are you listening??? (the A2 is nice, but I want a PURE incandescent with regulation)

The one issue I have with my incandescent Surefires is that they start going to amber usually withing 15 minutes of turning on--the color shifts to brown 30-40 minutes after turning on. Add a regulator to the C2, C3, etc. and it would be the perfect package. At full output, you cannot beat the color rendition of an incandescent. The problem is, they are only at full output a brief time before the drop starts.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Torchy Toddler, obviously it is to make them think they are getting a good deal. Don't worry whenever the bulb burns out they won't remember or notice the sponge covering the bulb anyway. :shakehead

There are tons of incan bulbs that are rated at 4,000 & 5,000 hours at default specified voltage....for example this 12V 90W 1800 BL Osram bulb that we crank up to 20,000+ lumens in the "DeathBlaster."

All hail....Sauron's minions are upon us. Woe are we.
20k lumens, on that bulb? Really? It's only rated for 1,800L at 12V. Did you mean 2kL, or can you really get it to twelve times the rated output? What voltage are you giving it, and what's the approximate (re-rated) lifetime?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, damn those 6 dollar, 3000_ lumen incan bulbs.

they are so inferior, you can repalcement by pulling them out of their g3.5 SOckets!!!!

the lack of need for massive heatsinking must gives many of us headaches.

the full spectrum color temperature is so last decade. mono-chromatic landscape rules!!!!

oh, did I mention that no need for worrying baout polarity? that's right, inserting the battery backwards will not make you lose a 30 dollar circuit board or 3-4 LEDs.

how about those bulbs that last thousands of hours? surely a car will run for 100,000 hours, no?

yeah, these incan versus LED threads are so much fun.... :rolleyes: