Becoming a lefty

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I made the change this week to try and start using my left hand more for computer work. I have always used my right hand for mouse or trackball. Over the past couple months I noticed that the soreness in my right hand and wrist was increasing. I do use wrist pads and such to prevent carpal tunnel. I am 30, so I plan on working for at least 30 more years. I am hoping that sometime in the future mice and trackballs will become obsolete and we will have something better. I have seen Microsoft's latest concept of tabletop input, but that technology still looks to be about 5 years away before it is available to the general public.

So anyways, I now have a new Logitech trackball setup for left hand use. My old Logitech trackball was for right handed use only. I found that most mice were right handed only as well. I also picked up a wrist rest for my mouse pad that has beads in it. I think it's made by Imak. Driving left handed this week has been entertaining to say the least, I'm like a drunk trying to use a mouse. I am getting better though.

Anybody else tried converting which hand you use for the mouse? Any tips or insight?

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
..you didn't post a thread about left handed flashlights a while back under the moniker "Babo" -- did you?

(still lol...)

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a right handed trackball too. I found mice too tiring to use for long periods. The problem I have been experiencing is numbness in my right thumb from whacking the space bar for so long. So I tried to switch to the left thumb. I have to actvely think about doing it for now. Maybe I'll try to alternate left/right each time, but that may take too much concentration.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
As long as you don't start to throw a baseball or football left handed... that's always good for laugh. :)

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Nope sorry! One identity is more than enough for me to keep up with! But check it out, my EDC G2, it's right handed AND..... it's left handed. :crackup:

Seriously though, I have to wonder if these mice and trackballs designed for right handed use put your hand and wrist at odd angles and create problems? I have been looking into a device called a vertical mouse because it is supposed to be gripped in what is considered a more natural posture for the hand. You still have to move it on a mouse pad like a normal mouse. That's why I prefer trackballs, you don't need lots of mouse pad real estate to use them.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try looking into a MS Natural Keyboard. Back in my computer programming days before becoming an SA I had a problem with my dominant wrist, my left, starting to hurt constantlyand I switched to the Natural Keyboard and it stopped rather quickly.

BTW: I am a natural left hander, left eye dominant, but learned to play all sports, and shoot guns and bow right handed. Left handed gear was a bit harder to come by back then, lol.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm left handed and use an optical mouse directly on my wood desk in an apx. 6"x7" area..seems easy enough to me..my elbow rests on the arm of the chair..
come to think of it I have been getting pains in that elbow, but i don't think it's mouse related... ?

left-handed flashlight thread--

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/122384

Last edited:

knot

Banned
I use a logitech cordless trackball. I have sore shoulders (right side hurts more) wrist and knuckles. I often use my computer more than 10 hours a day. I heard using two mice, alternating left and right, should be utilized. I may try that.