150 lumens+ LED flashlight

Spypro

Enlightened
I'm looking for a BRIGHT, LED, ****~150 lumens +, tactical, regulated, forward clicky (with momentary on), not a thrower nor a flooder, something between... well I have a very open mind... so every suggestions is well welcome.

"Illimited" budget.
Purpose: EDC.
Runtime: 1 hour or so (on high output or standard ouput)
Batteries: I would like to use RCR123A or 18* or 17*. I'm looking for a light who can use rechargeables.

I was looking at the Surefire L2 and L5... but I'm not sure about their brightness. I took a look at the Gladius from Night-Op, very nice light but not as bright as I am looking for, the Wolf-Eyes D2AX with Cree look nice and also the Lumapower M1 tactical too.

Am I looking for something that does not exist ?
It is sometime difficult to judge a light by looking at pictures.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you all people of CPF !

Mat

wintermute

Enlightened
Does the Huntlight have a forward clicky?? - EDIT...nope, reverse clicky. Maybe people can make some recommendations for some Cree drop-ins for the SureFires. Not sure about 150 lumens, but we'll see what people say.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
150 lumens out the front?...no, sorry, no one's at that mark yet in a standard production light. The Huntlight FT-01 XR-E is the closest at around 130-140 lumens actually out the front per FLR's test (give or take the accuracy of the test method and measuring equipment). I highly doubt you'd notice the additional 10-20 lumens in real world use. But as wintermute mentioned, the Huntlight is a reverse clicky.

I have a Streamlight Scorpion LED modded with USWOH (used to be USWOI, but I used the LED to mod a friend's light and just got a USWOH recently). I'd say it's easily 130 lumens out the front at least and has momentary, but it's a mod, not a standard product. You can use 17670s in the Scorpion and it runs for hours! I also use a pair of 3V R123As in my Scorpion, and a 17500 with a spacer.

The new SF L5 was to be 120 lumens out the front minimum, but it's on indefinite hold.

Your other option is a Dereelight CL1H. Has momentary clicky and low and high levels. Seems very well made and an improved version 2.0 just came out recently. I'd say that's your best option for a standard production light.

Last edited:

Spypro

Enlightened
Thank you all for your suggestions.
The Pelican is too big for my needs.
About the lumens... 100 to 150 lumens would suit my needs.

Timson

Enlightened
The Fenix P3D would seem to fit the bill pretty well.

Claimed to be 160 lumens in 'turbo' mode. (Sure - that's bulb lumens...But still impressive non the less)

Good general beam

Can run off RCR123 Li-Ions

Good runtime

Small enough to EDC

Affordable...(Helluva lot cheaper than Surefire / Gladius)

Only box it doesn't tick for you is the forward clickie / momentary on feature.

Tim.

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
My U2 Style puts out 140lm, using a light box like Quickbeam's. It's not forward clicky, but uses 18650s and cost $25.

wintermute

Enlightened
I have a modded XM-3 here with a SSC U-bin which puts out 140-150 lumens or so, with a forward clicky, but that is again...another mod.

Spypro

Enlightened
Thanks again for your comments.

I'm not looking for mods.

The P3D-CE look awesome but the reverse clicky is a total turn-off for me.

About Surefire: I was looking for the new L5 but it's on hold...

What do you guys think about the WE Defender II, Lumapower M1 tactical and the Gladius ?

I owns a SL Scorpion LED. I like it but it's not bright like I want it to be.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumaPower MRV - all that it doesn't have is the forward clicky but that's coming as an accessory soon. 210L on high, add an OP reflector if you want more flood and less throw. Runtime on an 18650 is over 2hrs. M1 is almost 150L - just a little short at 140L. Both include a tactical twisty - like that used on many SF lights.

Spypro

Enlightened
I heard a lot of positive comments about the MRV but it is a little too big to EDC.
The thing is that I want something BRIGHT, forward clicky with momentary on, and be able to EDC it (a belt clip is a +).
I really don't know what is the best light for my needs. I really wanted a Surefire but I'm not sure that I want to infinitely wait for them to upgrade their products.
I'm afraid of being disapointed after buying my new light.
This is why I asked experts here.
Thank!

Last edited:

wintermute

Enlightened
No recommendations for a Cree drop-in for a SureFire?? I don't have enough knowledge about this stuff to speak about it intelligently, so I'll leave it up to the people who love the SureFire drop-ins...but what about a WolfEyes Cree drop-in??

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering why you're not considering the Dereelight. I've been eyeing the CL1H for a while and am waiting for reviews of the 2.0 version.

Spypro

Enlightened
Look like a nice light. What about the 2.0 version ?
How much lumens ?

I'm also attracted to the Surefire L2, L4 and L5.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe overall output of the Dereelight is similar to the Lumapower M1. The 2.0 version resolved an issue with the level adjustment denting the top button of the battery.

Spypro

Enlightened
It would be really nice to see Surefire announcing a L2 and L5 with Cree.
If it was the case I think I would buy the L2.
But I want something brighther than 100-120 lumens.
This is why I wanted a P3D-CE... but I don't like reverse clicky.

wintermute

Enlightened
- Lumapower M1 (once the tact switch comes out)
- Lumapower M3 might work (modular - build what you want)
- Dereelight 2.0

That's 3 good choices...decide from those.