cabela's 3cell extreme light

ocharry

Newly Enlightened
hey guys any of you have any experience with the cabela's brand of lights ,, i have been looking at the 3 cell extreme models,, the claim 120 lumes??? i don't think that is out the front but who knows,,,,sure fire 3 cell says 100 lumes but it is about $40 more.... looking for something that will throw in a small package for around $50

what do you think??? thanks

ocharry

BoomerSooner

Newly Enlightened
I've never used a Cabela's. But a Surefire G3 is $54-$59 bucks and I know it's every bit of everyone else's "120" lumen's. And that's without the upgraded P91.

BoomerSooner

Newly Enlightened
ocharry,

I would also like to hear about the Cabela's lights.

I'm curious to the 12V version of the Cabela's Extreme Performance light with the optional Extreme Performance Head with 1-5/8" diameter bezel. Claimed 240 Lumens. The 12V light with the XPG head is $68.00. Sounds pretty good.

Anyone?

(Maybe better suited for the Incan forum?)

i516961sn01.jpg

i517257sn01.jpg

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
They seem to be pretty accurate. Surefire rates minimum Lumen out the front. Up to 35% of the light is loss through the reflector and the window. But the ratings are similar to Surefire's so unless the runtime is much longer, the Lumen rating should be pretty accurate.

Last edited:

loonybin

Newly Enlightened
They seem to be pretty accurate. Surefire rates minimum Lumen out the front. Up to 35% of the light is loss through the reflector and the window. But the ratings are similar to Surefire's so unless the runtime is much longer, the Lume rating should be pretty accurate.

The XPG lights are Xenon bulbs, not LEDs. My boys gave me the 6V version for Christmas. It was just as bright as my SF G2 and actually had a little bit better throw.

ugrey

Enlightened
Ultimate Lite in China makes these lights. They are then resold as G&P, Cabela's XPG, and BlackHawk/Night Ops(huge markup). Digilight also sold these until they went out of business. Digilight is now being brought back as Digicell(google Digicell). All these light's parts are SureFire compatible. Do a search on the incan. forum and you will come up with a lot of information

The G&P and maybe the Cabela's have plastic lenses. Their tailcaps may also be twistys instead of momentary/clickie. The Digilights were the highest quality with glass lenses and momentary/clickie tailcaps. The Cabela's 12V lights, and I think the G&P, are advertised as 180 lumens. The Digilight 12V were advertised as 220 lumen. I have a G&P 12V LA and a Digilight 12V LA and I cannot tell the difference. They are both brighter than a SF P91.

I also have a Cabela's 12V Range Extender head (1.7 inches and 240 lumens) It is about the same brightness as the G&P and Digilight 12V LAs. I cannot tell a difference. The beam on the Cabela's small turbo head is tighter but not a whole lot. For $ 30 it is worth it, especially outdoors. The 1.25 inch LA throws good AND has a TON of sidespill, almost a wall of light. The Cabela's small turbo head tames the sidespill some. The Cabela's turbo heads($30) beam is somewhere between the standard 1.25 LA and a SureFire turbo head($100).

I hope all this rambling helps. Do a search on the incan. forum and the general forum and feel free to ask me any specific questions.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
I have the Cabelas turbo head, 12v and the beam pattern is absolutely terrible!!
It has the "batwing" look to it on a white wall and artifacts.
I put a diffuser in the lens and it works fine with that.

The quality of the parts are not on par with Surefire, but you are not paying a SF price tag either.

For a LOT less you can get a Superfire or Ultrafire and the SF LA's will also work.

Just my .02 :)

ocharry

Newly Enlightened
dang guys you have just about talked me out of this,,i have a 2c mag that i have mod-ed to 3-123 with one of matt's led up grades and i like it a lot,, and i think i'm going to get about 4.5 hrs. of run time out of it(haven't run it down yet),,, anyway i can build another one of these for around $40 and they aren't much bigger than the 3 cell with the turbo head.... mat says 140-150 lumes,,cabela's says 120 lumes,,,, i'm gona have to think on this awhile:confused: thanks for the input

ocharry