Is the Surefire U2 outdated?

sbebenelli

Enlightened
With Cree and Seoul is the U2 outdated? I'm thinking about buying one but feel like it's somewhat outdated. Am I wrong for thinking this? Am I making a mistake if I buy one?

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends how you define "outdated". Is there a Cree/Seoul torch that's rock solid with the U2's beam/output and six levels controlled by a collar?

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of Course not, Luxeon V's still hold their own against Seoul's and Cree's.

I just bought a L4 yesterday and couldn't be happier.

Surefire U2 has more than enough output for most needs.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I guess what I'm thinking is output versus runtime. What would runtime be with a Seoul or Cree?

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could put a Seoul in a U2 fairly easily and have similar total output to a stock U2 with almost twice the runtime, but there are some tradoffs:

1. Without modding the reflector, the beam shape will not be optimal and may be terrible.
2. You will only be able to run it with a single Li-ion cell like a 17670 or 18650. It will not take two CR123 cells in this configuration.
3. To get proper operation of the level selector, you would probably need to put a diode in series with the Seoul, or use a very high Vf Seoul LED.

These same considerations would apply to a Cree, but it would be a somewhat more difficult mod.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened

+1...I use Titanium brand primaries in my U2 and they are one buck each at Amondotech. The U2 is still a great light that doesn't need a different LED.

EV_007

Enlightened
The usefulness of a light does not make it outdated. I like the tint of Lux better than CREE, although you can't beat the runtime of the CREE.

SCblur

Enlightened
My U2 is pretty darned perfect. It would take something pretty significant to dethrone it. Runtime alone won't do it, since the U2 is so much more. Its a beautiful beam with a creamy tint (my favorite), beautiful sidespill and great throw. Simple clicky interface with an elegant mode selector, rechargeable, and sexy black HAIII to boot. I think the only thing that will replace my U2 is the next version SF puts out.

o0o

Enlightened
A new U2 (redesigned) specifically for the Cree would be welcome. One that starts at perhaps 3 lumens on low and goes all the way to 200 lumens on high. The middle four settings could be something like 10-30-60-120 lumens

Until 200 lumen Crees are readily available, I think the current U2 is great as us. I love the beam of the Lux V.

To make the U2 with a Cree, it would need to be built from the ground up--especially to get a good beam (I would want a perfect beam if I were to spend $300 for another U2-would have to be a balance between throw and flood with no artifacts--as my current Lux V U2 is). Would love to see one in about 1.5 years with a Cree--it will take at least that long to develop and test, in my opinion.

Last edited:

who

Newly Enlightened

Hi Skalo,

I also love the Lux V, having quite a few L4's and L2's. I even concocted a few Surefire 6P/9P drop-in using Lux V.
Just wondering why you just sold me your L2 and then bought an L4, basically the same output and beam pattern.
I bought at least 20 Cree lights in the last 6 months. I like them a lot but love the Lux V even more. For me, at this time, the best light is KL4 + McGizmo CR2 body + Mc2Es

Regards

greenLED

Flashaholic
It depends how you define "outdated". Is there a Cree/Seoul torch that's rock solid with the U2's beam/output and six levels controlled by a collar?
I completely agree, and will add that brighter is not always better. The U2's attributes go far beyond that it being a relatively compact, bright light.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Perhaps a second generation U2 will have unlimited levels like the TITAN.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it is true that we all would like our torches to have the latest and greatest updates, I think the U2 still holds its own for the following reasons.

1) Being an LED it should never burn out.

2) Works on primaries or rechargeables 17670 or 18650 if you have the right
body.

3) Great user interface.....simple and can be set with the light off.

4) Incredible run times can be achieved by managing light needed for task.

Next to my HDS EDC U60GT which is as reliable as a hammer, it is the one light I would want with me if I were stranded on a desserted island, in a blackout, natural dissaster, etc.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it is true that we all would like our torches to have the latest and greatest updates, I think the U2 still holds its own for the following reasons.

1) Being an LED it should never burn out.

Haven't I heard people around here saying the LED in the U2 is only rated for 500 hours?

wintermute

Enlightened
A new U2 (redesigned) specifically for the Cree would be welcome. One that starts at perhaps 3 lumens on low and goes all the way to 200 lumens on high. The middle four settings could be something like 10-30-60-120 lumens

Until 200 lumen Crees are readily available, I think the current U2 is great as us. I love the beam of the Lux V.

You can easily get 200 lumens with a Q4, Q5, etc. Cree.
Q4-bin @350: 100.4 - @750: 180.7 - @1000mA: 220.9
Q5-bin @350: 107.0 - @750: 192.6 - @1000mA: 235.4

For that matter, a U-bin SSC P4 should get between 200 and 260 lumens at 1000mA.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
You can easily get 200 lumens with a Q4, Q5, etc. Cree.
Q4-bin @350: 100.4 - @750: 180.7 - @1000mA: 220.9
Q5-bin @350: 107.0 - @750: 192.6 - @1000mA: 235.4

For that matter, a U-bin SSC P4 should get between 200 and 260 lumens at 1000mA.

Multiply those by .65 to see what you'll get in the real world. :whistle: