Tent site robbed

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother just called and said that stuff was stolen from his tent: an expensive pillow, a not cheap sleeping bag he had just bought to save space in his motorcycle luggage, and an HY SWAT that i gave him for his birthday last year after milky modded it up all nice. They also stole a lantern - flourescent if it's the one they brought before - and all the beer from the cooler. (pause) That's all. I just needed to vent, and this was convenient. (smirk) How's that for a first Cafe post?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Oh MAN :shakehead what a friggin' bummer. I always worry leaving stuff in my tent.

Sorry for your bro's lost.. :scowl: what a buncha jerks! Where was he camping that it was stolen from? Hopefully he made a report with the Park Rangers. I wonder if putting a lock on the two zippers would deter thieves?

:candle: john

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
When ever I read ANY stolen merchandise posts, I seethe. I just can't imagine stealing a possession from somebody. I would feel guilty and low life even it was a stick of gum. So I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. They probably won't catch the perps but let us know if they do. Another sad life's learning experience.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're talking to the ranger now. The funny/sad part is i doubt they're gonna have a clue what to do with the light once the battery runs down. Or they'll stick two CR123s in it and fry it.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean cost? Probably close to $100 if you include the pillowcase. It's from IKEA.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
john- They're down near DC. I would've been there too if i hadn't been feeling out of it the past few days. For once being under the weather may have been a *good* thing, 'cause i don't bother skimping if i have a car handy.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really sorry to hear this. This give me the creeps hearing someone would do this. I hope the f-ers are bear food!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sucks, I leave the big stuff in my tent all the time (Pads, sleeping bag, etc). I usually don't leave the small stuff though. At least they left the tent!

turkdc

Newly Enlightened
When I go camping I very seldom leave anything of value (knives, flashlights, etc.) in the tent. I do however leave my sleeping bag. I figure anyone who steals a sleeping bag probably needs it more than I do!

I have considered putting a lock on one of the zippers, but I figure if someone has the balls to go into another man's tent and take his PILLOW, he probably won't be deterred by a millimeter of nylon. The lock also makes it look like you have something good to steal.

Sorry to hear about this, nonetheless, in general people suck. :thumbsdow

turk

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a pretty organized camper (I take what I need), but my tent is ALWAYS a mess (to my father's never ending dismay). I just throw things in and empty bags all over. Hopefully it just looks like junk and too much trouble to any potential thief to gather up. I can see how easy it would be to steal a fully packed bag.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between the group we've been camping dozens of times, and before this none of us have ever personally known anyone who had a camping site ripped off. I'm not even sure i've read about it, though i could just be forgetting.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
That really stinks. I have been primitive camping dozens of times and never had anything stolen.

Hope the rangers can catch the dirtbags who did this.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Major bummer!

In all the times I have been camping, only once did we get anything stolen. I had been working on my son's bicycle so it was not locked up with the rest of them. We didn't even notice it right away when we got back. Just next time we were getting to go for a ride.

And we were in Ft. Wilderness campground in Walt Disney World. Security said they have more bikes stolen there than anything else. Usually they find them a week or two later. Someone usually steals them to use them while they are vacationing there and just leaves them when they are done. But they never found ours.