Someting to ponder from the plucky Brits!

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
I looked up the history of flashlights on Wikipedia.
The term was originally coined to describe the behaviour of the early devices, which had carbon filament bulbs and zinc batteries. They would only run for short periods, or flashes - they stopped to rest the battery or change the bulb.
So I suggest the term e-torch for the new breed of long runtime LED-powered devices. It also anticipates the time when they will all be USB- charged and programmed.
Pip pip!

defusion

Enlightened
there have been attempts to change the name in normal usage, but they've failed.
it's just so common to call them flashlights now.

Illum

Flashaholic
from the national geographic show on flashlights, eveready once tried to rename flashlights as "sky low" but that failed to catch up as quickly as it was created

OhMyGosh

Newly Enlightened
Hand light. - Not fancy but generic and descriptive.

Pocket Light. - for 1 cell and small 2-cell size lights.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's shaming for me when I talk about flashlights to people in the rest of the World because flashlight is such an american term but I've mostly given up calling them torches online unless I want to highlight my non-american-ness.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like we are stuck with the term flashlight here in the U.S.I believe the name Eveready tried to coin was Day-Lo not Sky-Lo.I personally would be happier with "torches" as they are called in England and elsewhere, it just sounds better when you say it.If you say torches in this country you just get a confused look. :shrug:

barkingmad

Enlightened
From the start of this thread you can see where 'flash' light comes from - but it's not really relevant these days (i.e. flash) unless you overdrive your bulb with NiMH batteries hot off the charger!

I am biased (being from the UK) but I think 'torch' is better than 'flashlight' :twothumbs

fluke

Enlightened
I always thought "Flashlight" to be an American term.
As already said most in the UK call them torches.

I don't think the "Flashlight Bug" has caught on over here in the UK yet, well not that I've noticed anyway.
Unless it's an underground type thing :naughty: secret handshakes and all that :sssh:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coining the name of these little illumination devices is just another form of neo-imperialism! :D

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SometHing to ponder from the plucky Brits!

In Australia and New Zealand we say Torch too.

Flashlight is definitely just the US.
What he said.

Passing through LAX a few years ago I mentioned a little black box in my hand luggage was an LED torch and the security guy suddenly got quite excited. "Torch?!?" "Flashlight! I mean flashlight." So I had to show him how it worked. :rolleyes: It's easier to just keep away from the place (meaning the States). Pity we can't all do that, eh. :thumbsup:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the "Flashlight Bug" has caught on over here in the UK yet,

You're not kidding!!!

The other night I was playing poker with some friends and some people I hadn't met before.This chap notices my ORBRAW red lux III on my neck lanyard and enquires what it is. Pause for whole table being dazzled by the high power 'red-eye' effect - predictably most of them go 'wow'. This chap smiles and says with enthusiasm, 'Gosh, are you a photographer or something?' as if he'd been looking for a gadget like this his whole life and was about to get out his wallet and make me an offer...

I told him that I just liked torches...

I have never seen a smile vanish off someone's face so quickly and be replaced with a scowl of incomprehension and distaste. Why?

At least I won loads of money off them ;-)

Back on topic - surely 'Torchaholic' would be better than 'Flashlightoholic'?

And it would appeal to the pyromaniacs among us.

All in all, I love the fact that everybody calls them something different all over the world - why shouldn't it be so?

Torches,Flashlights,Taschenlampen,Lampara de mano,lampe de poche,pila tascabile,Ficklampa,etc - they all make the dark a little brighter, and why not?

Be lucky...

soffiler

Enlightened
So, what do people in the UK, NZ, and Australia call those flame-emitting devices used by plumbers to solder copper pipe?

fluke

Enlightened
So, what do people in the UK, NZ, and Australia call those flame-emitting devices used by plumbers to solder copper pipe?

In The UK.
Blow Lamp, Blow Torch, Butane Torch, Brazing Torch.
Gas Axe (Oxy-ceteline).
All I cant think of at the moment.