surefire 6p led

Wmpy

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup:I just saw preorders for a 6p led. 80 lm. Anyone have the scoop on this light? I have stayed away from the 123 battery models that burn up batteries rapidly. Have been looking at Fenix. A led surefire with led would be a nice light. A L2D CE would be nice too and use AAs that I have a good source of.:naughty:

Enlightened
The only thing IMO that is interesting about the 6P with the LED is the crazy long claimed runtime. Other than that it doesn't do anything for me. There are plenty of drop-in modules on the market now that will stomp on the factory LED'ed version.

carrot

Flashaholic
Output isn't everything. Most of your Cree/Seoul lights would stomp one of my favorite Seoul lights... but mine will run for over three hours on high and yours won't. :) Some people like the practicality of additional runtime.

Enlightened
Output isn't everything. Most of your Cree/Seoul lights would stomp one of my favorite Seoul lights... but mine will run for over three hours on high and yours won't. :) Some people like the practicality of additional runtime.

If you are refering to me, read the first sentence of my reply to the OP. ;)

BUZ

Enlightened
:thumbsup:I just saw preorders for a 6p led. 80 lm. Anyone have the scoop on this light? I have stayed away from the 123 battery models that burn up batteries rapidly. Have been looking at Fenix. A led surefire with led would be a nice light. A L2D CE would be nice too and use AAs that I have a good source of.:naughty:

Get a 170 lumen Wolf eyes cree with two RCR123 rechargables (no combo better for the 6P)!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing IMO that is interesting about the 6P with the LED is the crazy long claimed runtime. Other than that it doesn't do anything for me. There are plenty of drop-in modules on the market now that will stomp on the factory LED'ed version.

Not in my experience. Using the same power source, I have two seperate Cree based drop-ins that are not much (if any) brighter than an incan 6P w/a P60 incan lamp.

SF's 80Lu output is probably a truthful number, and not over-inflated hype that's been plaguing most other LED's.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF's 80Lu output is probably a truthful number, and not over-inflated hype that's been plaguing most other LED's.

I have the BOG Premium Plus and the Wolf Eyes "170 lumen" drop-ins, and they each have a little more output than my Surefire L5. From that, I would estimate 100-110 real lumens. Add in Surefire's conservative lumen ratings, and maybe back off the current a bit for battery life and thermal protection, and you get something close to what Surefire is advertising.

We won't see 170 real lumens from the beam of a drop-in upgrade until the better bins become widely available. But by then, Surefire will be using those bins, too.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a fan of the 6P form factor I think this light has great potential.
I like surefire flashlights. I have a bunch of them. The 6P was my first "real" flashlight. I bought it man years ago. It was a green anodized 6P I use it often and it has never let me down.
Keep in mind guys that there are a lot of 6P lights in use every day by POLICE. they are definitely the target for this light. They can migrate from a indian to an led and not loose any power and gain a whole bunch of runtime. It really is a win win deal for them.
I have a 6p with a KL3 head which is a great long throw led light.
The emitter and deep reflector used in this light will make for a fine beam. Don't forget that SureFire flashlight always have GREAT beams. this light will be no different.
I also have a bunch of KL4 heads which I use on single and double cell bodies. Once again a fantastic flashlight with a wonderful wide beam. I suspect that the new 6P's beam will be a fine combination of the beams of the kl3 and kl4. We will see soon enough.
I doubt that I will be able to resist this light.
The other aspect about this flashlight that can't be ignored is it's price.
It is going to be a great value. SureFire flashlights are at the top of the heap when it comes to quality. I doubt that these new lights will be any different.
Yaesumofo