Help a noob (me) find a flashlight!

sunnysideOS

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this flashlight business and I'm looking for a light that I can use for clearing my house, as well as for camping, and general utility. I will not be carrying it on me every day. I like LEDs and it has to be reliable and bright. I don't want to spend more than $60 on it (including shipping) so it really has to be around $50. I was looking at either the inova T3 or the surefire g2z. Can you guys recommend any other flashlights that would fit the bill?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Within the Fenix CE range you should find what you are looking for. Check the sizes and types of batteries they use and then look to the first post of this page (List of flashlights....) for reviews and pics. You can not miss.

;)

..............and welcome to CPF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

wintermute

Enlightened
1xAA Fenix L1D CE
2xAA Fenix L2D CE (brighter)
1xCR123 P2D CE
2xCR123 P3D CE (brightest)

With the L1D and L2D, you can buy extra bodies separate...so you can add a 1xAA or 2xAA body depending on what you get first. Get the ones with the textured reflectors.

Get them from Fenix-store.com - they have shipping included and an 8% discount for CPF users... use discount code "CPF8"

Enlightened
Ditto on the P3D. It's BRIGHT and has multiple levels. The beam is nice overall. Useful spill and a nice hotspot. You can also put it on low so you won't disturb others while camping.

Enlightened
Beamshots of the P3D for you.. Lights things up pretty good. The following pictures were on turbo mode. :naughty:

P3Dlivingroom_filtered.jpg

P3Dhall_filtered.jpg

P3Dkitchen_filtered.jpg

carrot

Flashaholic
One thing you should know about the Fenix series is- while yes, they are bright, they do not have momentary on. I do not know if that is important to you, but if it is you should be considering something else.

FWIW, I managed to pick up a G2Z for $50 here on CPF B/S/T awhile ago.

paulr

Flashaholic
From your description if you want a Fenix, I'd suggest the L2DCE rather than the P3D. It's almost as bright and it has the same user interface (some like it, others don't) but it runs on two normal AA cells instead of two CR123A camera batteries. Yes you can buy low cost CR123A's online but AA's are an easy to find commodity. The L2D CE runs best on rechargeable AA's (nickel hydride) and those are also easy to find. But you can use ordinary alkalines in a pinch.

wintermute

Enlightened
Best yet - get Eneloop AAs from batterybob.com - use "Sheep" for a 10% discount. Free shipping too.

sunnysideOS

Newly Enlightened
Best yet - get Eneloop AAs from batterybob.com - use "Sheep" for a 10% discount. Free shipping too.

I went to batterybob and I saw the CR123A's for $4 each when I can buy a batch of 10 for $10 or 30 for $25. I'm not putting Bob down, but what gives? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they almost the same performance?

Thanks for the replies (especially the pics) so far! I'm deciding between the L1D and the P3D. My question is that I saw a batch of CR123A batteries on ebay for some good prices. Are they any good? Are all those lithium batteries the same?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you go for the L1D-CE, you could also buy the L2D-CE and P2D-CE battery-tube for different battery options. According to Flashlight reviews, the P3D-CE is only 2.7 Lumen brighter then the L2D-CE(over-all output x 1.39=approx lumen for LEDs). But the P3D-CE has a lower low and is better for low light needs.

AmondoTec has Titanium brand CR123 batteries for $1 each. Not all Lithium batteries are the same. The first difference is Lithium primary batteries, 1.5v or 3v, and Lithium Ion rechargeable, 3v(3.7 off the charger) or 3.7v(4.2v off the charger). Then there are also different qualities, different sizes, and different capacities. If you buy in bulk, each battery will be cheaper but the overall price will be more expensive. Ebayers could also sell recharged CR123 Primary batteries for cheap but the batteries probably have less capacity and are more dangerous to use, they could also be selling cheap, no-name, batteries with a different wrapper(For example, a cheap battery with a Duracell label). I've read about people who've had their P2D-CE for a months and are still on their first battery so you might not need 30 batteries.

Dealextreme also sells Cree and Seoul lights and must are under $35. They are built well for the price but most have no modes or a two stage clickie.

Welcome to CPF!

wintermute

Enlightened
I went to batterybob and I saw the CR123A's for $4 each when I can buy a batch of 10 for $10 or 30 for $25. I'm not putting Bob down, but what gives? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they almost the same performance?

I said BatteryBob for the Eneloops - not CR123A's. You can get Eneloops cheap there, not sure about everything else.

Abrams.357

Newly Enlightened
id say the G2Z not fenix because they are NOT tactical lights for clearing a house
incans are betting than LEDs for camping too
-my two cents

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
L1D-CE or P3D-CE are both good choices! Go with what Gunner said on the batteries. E-Bay is probably not the best place to buy batteries. Stick with Amondotec or maybe Lighthound. I have a handful of Fenix lights and they are great lights at a reasonable price!

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
if this is not everyday carry ....get the L2d ....uses AA you can get anywhere but get the energizer E2 lithiums found everywhere as well

L2d is brighter than L1d on turbo and JUST a TINY bit less bright than P3d but has much better runtimes than both

and get the L1D extra body for only few bucks just incase you like the light so much you want to carry it and the L1d will be your pocket powerhouse

get this version L2d it has Q2 and textured reflector use " cpf8 " for 8% coupon also L1d body

all in all about $81 shipped after coupon for L1D/L2d 2 lights in 1 and VERY WORTH IT if i could start my journey here at cpf again this combo would be all i really needed and a drop in for the mag and save me money throughout my spending spree here

actually to save $1 get the Whole L1d Q2 version its $69 then get the L2d body $18 cuz the L2d whole is $71 the L1d body is $17 so theres $1 savings there

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know, maybe two flashlights is a good solution -- a high output tactical flashlight with a momentary button and a powerful multi-level LED light for general purpose. Generally most tactical flashlights fail in several ways for being used as a GP light, most commonly in the area of runtime.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
with the tactical ,runtimes would be an issue and this is general use light , but if size isnt an issue i love my 4D maglite with the 6ex ,that could be second light option high output with forward clicky and great runtime 20hours before dimming then another 15-20 hours of useable light

so he could get 2 small lights and a large one

wonder what "Clearing" his house means ...going in there guns blazing make sure no intruders ? is that why you think he needs tactical

Last edited:

LightJaguar

Enlightened
if this is not everyday carry ....get the L2d ....uses AA you can get anywhere but get the energizer E2 lithiums found everywhere as well

L2d is brighter than L1d on turbo and JUST a TINY bit less bright than P3d but has much better runtimes than both

and get the L1D extra body for only few bucks just incase you like the light so much you want to carry it and the L1d will be your pocket powerhouse

get this version L2d it has Q2 and textured reflector use " cpf8 " for 8% coupon also L1d body

all in all about $81 shipped after coupon for L1D/L2d 2 lights in 1 and VERY WORTH IT if i could start my journey here at cpf again this combo would be all i really needed and a drop in for the mag and save me money throughout my spending spree here

actually to save $1 get the Whole L1d Q2 version its $69 then get the L2d body $18 cuz the L2d whole is $71 the L1d body is $17 so theres $1 savings there

I need to quit reading this forum. So far I've had three Fenix L2D-CEs. One of them got stolen:mecry::mecry: when I moved out of my old place. The other one I messed up trying to center the LED and the last one I gave it to my wife as a gift. Now that I read about the Q2 version I'm on my way to owning my fourth one. It's a sexy light and I can't stand the temptation.
Oh yeah by the way I highly recommend the L2D-CE.

paulr

Flashaholic
I read "clearing the house" as meaning picking up the junk in the attic and basement, not some kind of shootout at the OK Corral. If you think you are in need of a tactical light, get a real one, preferably one mounted directly on the weapon instead of a handheld light.