Something to do with your Fenix L1D Cree

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
A couple years ago I had someone cut down a Maglite 2AA for 1AA and bought some lithium 3v CR-V3 batteries. I cut them apart and removed the 3v lithium AA batteries they have and used them a couple times. I was reading the review of the L1D and L2D on flashlightreviews.com and found the head was the same. So I put the 3v AA battery in my L1D and brightness increased substantially. Now when I go from 80 to 90 lumens, I can actually see a difference. I am mostly using up old alkaline AA's in it, but might come in handy in cold weather or when I feel the urge. YMMV. imgadgetman

paulr

Flashaholic
Those cells are ridiculously expensive. You may as well buy a cr123a battery tube and use 123's.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing you can do is spend $22 (or whatever) to get the L2D body and tail switch for the L1D head from 4sevens. Then use CR123 primaries at 3.0 V.

Much cheaper in the long run (after the 5th or 6th 3V AA battery).

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now when I go from 80 to 90 lumens, I can actually see a difference.

Since the L1D and L2D use the same head, and it is the lower input voltage that results in the lower output, you are likely running the light in Max mode at full L2D power of "135 lumens".

These cells don't really like the extremely high current of the Turbo modes of the L1D though. Nerdgineer has a suggestion that will actually pay for itself after just a couple cells since CR123's are far cheaper than CR-V3, if you buy them online.

wintermute

Enlightened
You can also use rechargeable lithium protected 14500 (AA size). They're available from the Fenix-store and people have had plenty of great experience with them.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also use rechargeable lithium protected 14500 (AA size). They're available from the Fenix-store and people have had plenty of great experience with them.

Max works fine, but all of the other modes are brighter than they normally would be. You completely lose low mode all together.