Weird Surefire upgrade???

JamesBond

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF members,

According to the Surefire magazine, the following LED flashlights will be upgraded:

L5: 120 lumens for 4.5 hours
L1: 65 lumens for 10 hours
E2L: 45 lumens for 18 hours
E1L: 30 lumens for 17 hours

But if you look on the surefire website they are different.

L5: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/1138/sesent/00

L1: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/932/sesent/00

E2L:
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24205/sesent/00

E1L:http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24263/sesent/00

===========

Does anyone know the reason that they have lower lumen to burn time ratio on the website when compared to the surefire magazine?

Thanks

P.S. I am looking to buy a E1L, any PROS/CONS?

I am leaving for France on July 5th. Today is July 2nd, IF I order rush deliverly today or tomorrow will the flashlight come in time.

Thanks again :wave:

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CFP!

Basically SureFire have to get both the prototype new products and the new catalogs ready in time for the SHOT Shows each year. The catalogs need to go to press but the proto-typing may not finish by that deadline.
The result are catalogs that had the best available information at the time of going to press but product details that got finalised afterwards.

The current SureFire.com figures are going to be more like those SureFire release with their new products than the 2007 catalogs figures.

SureFire are not planning to release a new L5 - it is on indefinite hold.

The new E1L, E2L, L1, Titan, X300, G2L and 6PL are still in the pipe for release this year though.

JamesBond

Newly Enlightened
So what you are saying is that the lumen to run time ratio in the magazine is wrong and that the specs on surefire.com are the right ones and permanent to the cree LED upgrade?

:shrug:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
So what you are saying is that the lumen to run time ratio in the magazine is wrong and that the specs on surefire.com are the right ones and permanent to the cree LED upgrade?

:shrug:

Correct.

Size15's is on the inside @ Surefire, he is the go to guy with SF questions.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no way you are going to get 65 lumens for 10 hrs on a single CR123. That defies physics.

I get 2 hrs of ~42 lumens on a P4 modded HDS.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It may be useful to recognise that SureFire tend to be stating the runtime as the total combination of the regulated runtime plus the runtime during which the lower unregulated output gradually dimminishes.

The most important thing in my opinion is to see the various output/runtime charts posted by members who have used lightmeters to record how the output changes over the course of the battery(s) discharging.
We can then each determine a runtime for ourselves based on the criteria we each feel is more useful to us.

Size15's is on the inside @ Surefire, he is the go to guy with SF questions.
I would not say I'm on the inside @ SureFire at all, although I do try to keep up with some of the things SureFire is up to...
It is nice to be thought of as somebody people can ask SureFire questions. I do what I can to help.

Al :)

Last edited:

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
Not that I'm trying to confuse things, but according to the Cree G2 pre-release information, you will have:

G2L: 80 Lumens, 12 hours
E2e: 45 lumens, 14 hours

I expect that G2L runtime figure to come down. If it's anything over four hours I'm going to get one.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see any difference between the magazine and the web site. I think they have updated the web site now. (Oops - except for the L5 which shows the same). They must be working on updates right now.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Not that I'm trying to confuse things, but according to the Cree G2 pre-release information, you will have:

I expect that G2L runtime figure to come down. If it's anything over four hours I'm going to get one.
Note: The G2L/6PL does not have a Cree XR-E LED.
When you say "come down" if you mean SureFire will revise the rating they have given then it may be useful to recognise that SureFire tend to be stating the runtime as the total combination of the regulated runtime plus the runtime during which the lower unregulated output gradually dimminishes.
(Runtime rating ZZ hours consisting of XX hours regulated at AA lumens followed by YY hours of lower unregulated output that gradually dimminishes)

Al

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I would not say I'm on the inside @ SureFire at all, although I do try to keep up with some of the things SureFire is up to...
It is nice to be thought of as somebody people can ask SureFire questions. I do what I can to help.

Al :)

Dude, you worked the door at PK's private party @ SHOT. :party:
You're definitley no Joe Blow off the street. :whistle:

waynejitsu

Enlightened
What is the word on the L5?
Are they going to continue it?
Upgrade it even more?
Discontinue it?
Replace it with something better?
Any info would be great, that is what I was waiting for..., or..., an L5 with multi stages, or at least a hi/lo:)

Size15's

Flashaholic
What is the word on the L5? It's on 'indefinite hold'
Are they going to continue it? It's on 'indefinite hold'
Upgrade it even more? That could be one reason for the hold
Discontinue it? Perhaps, perhaps. Who knows what the future brings?
Replace it with something better? Perhaps, perhaps. Who knows what the future brings?
Any info would be great, that is what I was waiting for..., or..., an L5 with multi stages, or at least a hi/lo
Well the L5 has always been a single-stage flashlight and I feel it is more likely than not to remain one.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
When you say "come down" if you mean SureFire will revise the rating they have given then it may be useful to recognise that SureFire tend to be stating the runtime as the total combination of the regulated runtime plus the runtime during which the lower unregulated output gradually dimminishes.
(Runtime rating ZZ hours consisting of XX hours regulated at AA lumens followed by YY hours of lower unregulated output that gradually dimminishes)

Al

Thanks, Al - when I posted that I hadn't read the thread stating that the G2L was not going to be a Cree light, after all. Which means I was comparing apples and oranges. Which serves me right for getting carried away in the excitement of it all.

I'm very interested to see people compare the forthcoming G2L module to the many Cree ones on sale right now. I'm assuming it will come down to hotspot versus spill in the end.

CRC123

Newly Enlightened

The E2L is 45 lumens not the E2e.

CRC123

Newly Enlightened

Al
I heard that SureFire was using the CREE with a slight modification to eliminate the need for the orange peel on the reflector.