Soshine RCR123A in my PL X2

Flymo

Newly Enlightened
Can I use Soshine Li-ion RCR123A 3.0 volt in my Pentagonlight X2, without burning out my Xenon bulb? :green:
The Soshine RCR123A batteries are in stock at DealExtreme.
I have send a e-mail to the Soshine company, and they said that it would be no problem, because they deliver 3.0 volt. if it is installed in any device.
Are they right about that?.......:thinking:
(I measure 3.6 - 3.8 volt after a full load, with a Soshine charger)
I use the Soshine's in a PL L2 without any problem.

Thanks,

DM51

Flashaholic
Incan bulbs are quite sensitive to voltage. Your Pentagonlight X2 is designed to run on 2 x CR123A 3v primaries. Under load these will be delivering ~5v, due to voltage sag. The bulb has been designed with that in mind.

The problem with 3v Li-Ions is that they are actually 3.7v cells which are regulated down to ~3v. This means that they will not sag below 3v at all, so your bulb will be getting 6v rather than 5v. The extra voltage will cause it to burn out.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are 2 general types of 3V R123As:

1. 3.7V R123As with an internal circuit to drop voltage to 3.2V (not actually 3V)
2. 3V by chemistry (these typically have lower capacities)

I've used the 3V by chemistry type (they come hot off the charger at about 3.6V) in incans. You must let the cells rest before using them in your light. You'll have increased output and whiter light, but that's because you're overdriving the bulb. As DM51 mentioned, 6V lights actually use 4.8-5V filaments, so at 6V, it is being overdriven. You trade off whiter, brighter output for less bulb life. As long as you let the cells rest (assuming you have the 3V by chemistry type), then you should have a very low chance of instaflashing the bulb.

Latest posts