Streamlight Sidewinder

willrx

Enlightened
I found a Streamlight Sidewinder at Bass Pro Shops in Atlanta this weekend. Functions as described on their website and is quite a nice little piece. Anyone have any technical info or other impressions on this little gem? One thing not mentioned on the website is that the battery door on bottom is tethered by a metal cable to keep you from losing it.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you like it?

From the pictures on brightguy.com, it looks kind of bulky and not a very user friendly light to carry--until you look closely and see that it is only 4.6 inches tall (head up).

How are the low (5%) light levels... I would like something lower than the typical ARC AAA or Fenix Low available--I would assume the white light is still 1 Lumen or so (dim like a Infinity Ultra AA), but those colored LEDs--especially the Red--are probably very dim.

Are the colored LEDs kind of ringy/blotchy on a wall--but look OK in "real life" use?

How is the switch for selecting colors and levels. Only one LED can be lit at a time?

What is the "Strobe" mode like? 100% brightness with a rapid flash?

-Bill

willrx

Enlightened
How do you like it?

From the pictures on brightguy.com, it looks kind of bulky and not a very user friendly light to carry--until you look closely and see that it is only 4.6 inches tall (head up).

How are the low (5%) light levels... I would like something lower than the typical ARC AAA or Fenix Low available--I would assume the white light is still 1 Lumen or so (dim like a Infinity Ultra AA), but those colored LEDs--especially the Red--are probably very dim.

Are the colored LEDs kind of ringy/blotchy on a wall--but look OK in "real life" use?

How is the switch for selecting colors and levels. Only one LED can be lit at a time?

What is the "Strobe" mode like? 100% brightness with a rapid flash?

-Bill

BB,
I'll do my best on the questions.

Not bulky at all. Slim, square, and fits in the palm of your hand.

Low levels will illuminate nicely in darkness-map reading etc.

Colored LED's are ringy/blotchy on a wall but fine if actually using.

Switch is nice, rotate for different color-locks in place. No chance of switching to different color unless you want to. One LED at a time. Level choice is made by holding in the button and letting off when desired level is reached.

Strobe is 100% and rapid.

Seems like it will function nicely for its designed purpose. For my real world use, if forced to choose one light to camp, be stuck in a bad storm, or go through a power outage-this would be the one. Keep in mind, there is a lot yet for me to learn regarding illumination.:thumbsup:

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, willrx. I'm restricting myself to one torch a month, but this is definitely near the top of the list for august.

supes

Enlightened
Streamlight is bringing out some cool stuff now, those new Stylus Pro AAA clickie penlights and now this little thing.

I'm curious about this light's waterproofness. It says it meets MIL standards, but I would like your opinion on the seals on the light, willrx, if you could sir. I plan on using it underwater in depths of less then 100ft.

To me this looks like a better alternative to the Pentagonlight MOLLE light. Thanks, just like the rest, ANOTHER light to get...

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The obvious question no one's asked: what's the beam shape like? Does it seem similar to another optic you're familiar with?

willrx

Enlightened
Streamlight is bringing out some cool stuff now, those new Stylus Pro AAA clickie penlights and now this little thing.

I'm curious about this light's waterproofness. It says it meets MIL standards, but I would like your opinion on the seals on the light, willrx, if you could sir. I plan on using it underwater in depths of less then 100ft.

To me this looks like a better alternative to the Pentagonlight MOLLE light. Thanks, just like the rest, ANOTHER light to get...

To be honest, I'm probably not the best one to give that type of opinion. I don't dive and have very little knowledge regarding LED's in general. Until someone else chimes in, I recommend emailing Streamlight. I just got lucky and saw this light hanging on the shelf. To answer the question, the seals seem hardy.

Don't have an opinion on beamshape other than it being floody.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
(grin) "Floody" is an acceptable answer. Thanks. That'd be awesome if it's like the Pierce M10w.