A bit upset about my A2...

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently, removing the LED ring from the A2 voids the warranty. I removed the LED to put glow paint on the back of the LED's and put it back in. I also ordered an aviatrix from Atomic Chicken. I cannot remove the glow paint from the LED ring to restore it to it's original condition, so they would know I removed the ring. Is my A2 warranty now void? I hope not, but I fear that it is. :sigh:

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say that it is - if you were worried about warranty, why are you modifying it in the first place, though??

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The aviatrix mod is reversible (so you would just put the old LED ring in case something happened :whistle:), but that glow paint on the original ring will void the warranty :sigh:.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe when others get their Aviatrix rings you could buy somebody's old one (assuming they're not serialized or something..)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Apparently, removing the LED ring from the A2 voids the warranty. I removed the LED to put glow paint on the back of the LED's and put it back in. I also ordered an aviatrix from Atomic Chicken. I cannot remove the glow paint from the LED ring to restore it to it's original condition, so they would know I removed the ring. Is my A2 warranty now void? I hope not, but I fear that it is. :sigh:

I'm confused. You first say modding it voids the warranty, then you ask if that's the case?

Did you change the LED's? If they're still the stock ones, I don't see how adding GID would void the warranty, as it doesn't interfere with the functionining of the light (unless you didn't let the pain dry and the fumes damaged the reflector coating or something like that).

In any case, if it's only GID paint that you added, scrape it off with a thin blade.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say that it is - if you were worried about warranty, why are you modifying it in the first place, though??

I didn't think putting glow paint would be modifying it. But, the ring had to be removed in order to put the paint on, which apparently voids the warranty if you remove the ring. Anyhow, I was able to remove all the glow paint from the ring without scratching it and put it back in all neat and clean. Additionally, I can tell if I missed any paint just by looking at it in the dark. No worries.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Even if someone didn't modify the LED's, there's no way to tell whether the ring has been removed or not. The screws are not sealed in place or indexed in any way.

Glad you could scratch the GID off.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are you worried about it? Do you have to send it back to Surefire or something? I just bought a L5 to rip apart and mod myself. I know it voids the warranty. I just don't worry about it.

batman

Enlightened
Who says removing the LED ring voids the warranty anyways? I've never heard that before. How do you know this to be true?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who says removing the LED ring voids the warranty anyways? I've never heard that before. How do you know this to be true?

You can do whatever you want to your SF, but if you send it in on warranty and they catch any mods on the light the warranty's void. Just be careful when you unscrew the screws, using a screwdriver of inappropriate size can leave telltale stripping/warping on top of them.

I was told that it would void the warranty from a Surefire tech support rep on the phone.

Just don't take it apart if you want to keep the warranty.:sssh:

Last edited: