Will aluminum foil replace the incandesent bulb?

goldenlight

Enlightened
Like so many new discoveries, this is many, many years from practical application, unfortunately. But it looks promising.

But I think we all agree that CFLs are only a problem ridden, stopgap measure in what needs to be a BIG push to cut electrical use worldwide, for all of the obvious reasons.

Empath

Flashaholic
The article didn't seem to address the question of power savings.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The article didn't address a whole lot of things, like what makes the light? Ionised gas? Nothing to ionise it. Really hot aluminium oxide? It melts at 2054°C, so any light would be very red. Besides, aluminium oxide is a thermal and electrical insulator. How many volts do these lamps run on?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
How bout reliability? Dont see anything about how long a unit like the one in the article can last.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to this article, "Values exceeding 30 lumens per watt are expected when the array design and microcavity phosphor geometry are optimized." While I realize it's still an emerging technology, I must admit I find it difficult to be optimistic about it's future when compared to the inexpensive T8 fluorescents lighting my garage, which give ~80 lumens/watt. I wish the experimentors, inventors, and investors well.

I'd like a screen for the bathroom skylight that gives me a "skylight" that works at night, too. :buddies: