Jetbeam C-LE question

camdz

Newly Enlightened
First off, this is my first post. I have been browsing this site for hours and I think I will soon be addicted.

I just picked up one of these C-LE's (I couldnt pass it up for $23 shipped). My question is, how many of you actually trust the "waterproof up to xx ft" specs. I am going on a float trip at the end of the month and thought about just keeping the flashlight in my pocket. I will be in a raft so it wont be submerged for long periods of time or in deep water....

Would you trust it?

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF. Beware this place. It can definitely be addictive. I think as far as water resistance of the C-LE you should be okay. Make sure the o-ring is well greased. I've not actually tested mine, but it likely will be fine. I think generally lights with o-rings do alright up to a few feet in depth. You might put it in a baggie, just to be safe.

Geoff

camdz

Newly Enlightened
I didnt think about that. I will definitly put it in a baggie. We will be on the river during the daylight, but I didnt know how late or where we will be getting out..so it would be nice to have it on me instead of leaving it back at the tents.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grease up the O-ring and put it underwater slowly in the sink. Watch for bubbles [not the ones coming from the air trapped by the hollow end or the small area between the lens and the top of the bezel]
Pull the light out, open it up and check. There seems to be some variation in quality in these lights, and I bet that holds for their water resistance too, so you really have to test YOUR light to be sure. If it survives the test with no water entering, you can be more assured taking it on you river trip. I would check it each evening if you can.

I have two of these and love them. Haven't yet had them see a lot of water.

kungfufyter

Newly Enlightened
it might seem obvious, but i should add, do that test with the batteries OUT of the light, and if water enters, wait for the light to completely dry before trying it out =)

camdz

Newly Enlightened
I dont have the light in my possession yet but I appreciate the "reminder". Knowing me I would have forgotten to take them out.

it might seem obvious, but i should add, do that test with the batteries OUT of the light, and if water enters, wait for the light to completely dry before trying it out =)

mchlwise

Enlightened
Although JetBeam uses the words "water proof" it's not a dive light, so it's really more like "water resistant". Under certain conditions, it WILL leak.

As stated, grease on the o-ring will help. It sounds like you don't plan on using it under water, you just want to have a light with you for when you get out of the water, and you should be just fine.

If you do use it under water, turn it on out of the water, then dunk it. Twisting the head under water will likely cause it to leak.

Tremendo

Enlightened
I guess I'm on the other side of this. I have a Jet-C LE and after making sure it's lubed well, would not hesitate to jump in the water with it in my pocket (it's in my wife's purse now all the time). One of the purposes of a light like this (for me) is to not worry if it happens to get dunked. I've taken a Fenix, FF3, Surefires, Golston, etc, swimming under water with me on numerous occascions, never had a problem yet. Actually using while under water.

Yes, do test it out so you can be sure. But if it's fine, I wouldn't worry about the baggie. Bags, in my opinion, are worse than nothing. I lost a $1,000 business 2-way radio I used to keep in a "waterproof" bag in the back of my jet-ski. My buddy flipped it 300 meters out from the Puerto Vallarta beach and couldn't put it back. The radio was toast, not because it was on and swam a bit, but because it was in a bag that filled with water, then held that water for hours once re-flipped until we remembered about it. The rest of the compartment was dry, but the bag held the water well :). I had another similar instance as well. If the light is water-resistant/proof on it's own, use it like that. Just my opinion.

camdz

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the responses. I will test it when it arrives, and go from there. Im not sure how the rafts are set up..so I dont know if I will be sitting in water for 5-6 hours or if it will be dry the whole time. The most I see it getting wet is a quick dunk (me getting in or out of float). Either way Im hoping to carry it with me....just in case I will need it before getting back to the campsites.