ultrafire C2 (on DX) - a good candidate for floodlight!

tenfour

Newly Enlightened
the Ultrafire C2 3W Cree listed on DX ( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1446 )....

I want to get this, and remove the reflector to make a nice flood light with 0 hotspot at all. Can anyone speak up who has this light and say whether you see any problem with doing this? Or how wide the beam would be? If you're really generous you'd give a beamshot of the light without the reflector =))

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ultrafire C2 (on DX) - a good candidate for floodlight?

This is actually one of the best for this. I would greatly recommend buying a ultra-clear-lens with light diffusing film from flashlightlens.com, this will soften the direct glare that comes from having a line-of-sight to the emitter, which is a major improvement in my opinion. I did this with one of my C2s, but with the reflector still installed, there really isn't a hotspot, just a flood with central "region" that is slightly brighter. I may be able to post up a pic tomorrow.

tenfour

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the advice - what's the size of lens to order?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just checked mine out again, and it turns out FLlens doesn't have a lens that fits. I used their lenses for some maglites, but I had to fabricate my own diffuser for the C2, I forgot about that (I cut some frosted plastic, and sandwiched it between the bezel and the existing glass lens). This unfortunately isn't as efficient as the UCL, which doesn't loose many lumens due to the coatings.

tenfour

Newly Enlightened

Wow I just got this light a few minutes ago and I'm super happy. Didn't work with my LG 18650 cell because of the flat top, but 123a's are working fine.

It's a pretty tight spot by default, but without the reflector, it's a beautiful flood. Beamshots below.

I can't help but be impressed at the feel of this thing either. Nice solid build, tight reverse clicky, lubricated well-fitting threads...

Only problem is now the glass flops around; i need to either modify the reflector and stick it back in, or find a way to seal up the gap.

c21.jpg

c22.jpg

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.

If you're looking to seal the gap, both Ace Hardware and Home Depot have pretty good selections of O-rings. Ace has many sizes; my HD has primarily plumbing sizes. That shouldn't be a problem on the C2, but they didn't have the 2 1/8" for the big Maglites.

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

I would have to agree with 2xtrinity.

I simply put a colimnator lens (similar to the lens in the streamlight Jr but larger) into the C2.

Still has good throw as well.