Anyone likes TIR beam? SF L5's with TIR?

Entrekman

Newly Enlightened
This morning (3am) I got up to get a drink of water and I reached for my SF E2L, and damn that TIR lens just seared my eyes when the light bounced off my very plain white walls. I then reached for my L4 and got a nice pleasant floody beam that didn't hurt so bad, even though it throws more light.

Anyone know if the new L5's will have TIR lens? If SF really gonna put one in, I don't think I will ever buy it.:shakehead

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A TIR is designed for throw and of course if you use it to look at the memos pasted on the fridge you might have some problems....:D

As a matter of fact I do like TIR's but limited to their special application i.e. a concentrated spot at a certain distance.

BBL

Enlightened
TIR does NOT mean it is designed for throw. It is a common asumption, because many TIR-Lenses are (newer surefires, inova)

Look at the first generation KL1 or L1. It had a useful spot/spill beam, and used a TIR-Lens.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Cree-based L5 has been put on hold according to a few posts here on CPF. But I am anticipating the new TIR Cree L1.
I happen to love optics (even ringy TIR and TRIOS beams) and prefer optics over reflectors for cetain applications.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIR does NOT mean it is designed for throw. It is a common asumption, because many TIR-Lenses are (newer surefires, inova)

Look at the first generation KL1 or L1. It had a useful spot/spill beam, and used a TIR-Lens.

I stand corrected !

:bow::bow::bow:

Size15's

Flashaholic
With the possible exception of the X200A beam, SureFire's goal appears to have been to evolve its TIR optics & LED combinations so that the beam profile produced is the one SureFire is recognised for: Large, strong intense central beam fading to a large, bright surround beam.
The new Cree XR-E & TIR optic bezels used by the new L1 and KX1 produce a far better beam profile then the LuxeonIII & TIR optic bezels they replace.