Master thread of firestarting flashlight setups

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

We've all heard of how the USL and The Torch can start fires, but what else? The goal of this thread is to get a master list of flashlights that can start fires. It's in General because I don't want to exclude lasers or IR LEDs from it.

So, this is how it'll work: If you have a firestarting setup that hasn't been listed, please include its name and all components. It would probably be cool to include component and total costs, runtime, additional links, whatever.

I know there are many setups that can start fires - USL, The Torch, some WA setups, powerful lasers, and more - so get posting! :popcorn:

I'll start us off:

LarryK12

Enclosed in a big "10MCP" spotlight host, this light uses the Sylvania or GE Q4559X bulb, rated for 28V and 22A, or around 600W. My setup uses three 8-cell SubC NiMH packs from amondotech.com wired in series, for about a 7-8 minute runtime. Firestarting time on newspaper is about sixty seconds.

Bulb: ~$30
Batteries: ~$100
Host: ~$30
Switch: ~$5
Fuse: ~$3
Fuse Holder: ~$2
Total cost: ~$170

Link to original thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/111545

Link to video demonstrating firestarting capability: http://www.tigerhawkt3.com/lk12_fire.htm

Last edited:

Mike M

Newly Enlightened
My M*g mod from Blackbear. The Borealis 1050. Check em out.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 75W Xeray BarnBurner can start fires. Not as fast as the mag mods but it still does.

defblade

Newly Enlightened
A Mag64 (1164 bulb, 8 AAs) will do it in a minute or so. May well be faster with FM's throwmaster head on as it's a lot more focused, but haven't gotten round to trying it (yet ;) ).

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
New one for the list:

A 10MCP spotlight from Harbor Freight on High beam... with an ellipsoidal reflector. It starts fires in newspaper in about 10-15 seconds or so. I was holding the reflector over the bulb by hand, so the focus wasn't what it could have been. I'll have to experiment some more to find the focus inside the reflector as well as the one outside. When I can do that as well as keeping it steady and centered, it might improve. I'm quite pleased with this reflector, and I can't wait until I have a real hotwire setup for it.

Beer

Enlightened
My ROP HO will burn THROUGH newspaper but not acctually light it. :(