Opalec newbeam voltage

Mad1

Enlightened
Does anyone know what voltage this unit can support?

I would like to slim my magAA down to run it on a single 3.7v li-on.

It can support 3v's (2x 1.5) i'm just not sure about the .7 :candle:

Illum

Flashaholic
This might be of help, quoted from the manufacturer

[URL said:
http://www.opalec.com/support.html[/URL]] Q: I want to use the NewBeam with a higher voltage battery. What is the operating voltage range of the NewBeam?
A: There are a few points to make on this:
*The NewBeam is designed and intended only for use in 2 AA Mini Maglite flashlights with 1.5 Volt batteries. We realize that some people use the NewBeam module in creative ways. Please realize that you are on your own as Opalec does not offer warranty or application support for these uses.

*With higher battery voltages, the red battery indicator LED (2.0 Volts), and reserve function (1.8 Volts) will not be very useful.

*Higher voltage battery strings can experience reversed cells, which may damage some batteries and create leakage. This isn't likely to happen with 2 x 1.5 Volt cells, since the NewBeam will not discharge the batteries below 1.8 Volts, but it is possible with more and/or higher voltage cells.

*The maximum voltage capability of the NewBeam has changed. We now build the NewBeam with either of two control circuits, which have different voltage ranges. One version will operate up to 8-9 Volts, although the LED current regulation begins to degrade above about 6 Volts. The other version only operates up to a little over 5 Volts, and then draws excessive current above about 6 Volts and will be damaged. You can tell the two apart by looking with a magnifier at the parts under the clear epoxy. If you see a rectangular silver colored part labeled 「1B」, you have the version which works above 5 volts. If you do not see this part, you have the lower voltage version. Again please be aware that we do not encourage use of the NewBeam above the standard 2 x 1.5 volts. If you want to do custom work, please keep these limitations in mind.

Personally I'd throw a 5 ohm resistor in there just in case
http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz?VS=3.7;VF=3;ID=150