Happy 4th of July

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Have a happy and safe holiday!
fireworks.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Looks like I got beaten to the (Sub Zero Ice) Punch {obscure Digimon reference} on this one. :)
So, what kind of fireworks are you planning on using tomorrow?

The budget was very limited this year, so I purchased some sparklers for my sister and some stink bombs for myself.
The sparklers are a nighttime firework, and the stink bombs are a daytime firework.
I might get some whistling Petes tomorrow if I can afford them.

Mad1

Enlightened
I'm not an American but happy 4th July for you guys. :thumbsup:

Illum

Flashaholic
sounds like a perfect holiday for those with short carbon arcs to shoot the beam side ways and see how much smoke can be illuminated:thumbsup:

wont be lighting anything off this year, I'll be "providing illumination" for a neighbor:huh:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've got some colored sparklers.... that's about it. We'll probably watch one of the municipal displays tonight.

Sorry to beat you to the punch, Craig. It's your unfailing rememberance of holiday greetings that reminded me to do it though! :)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I got my hands on some whistling Petes this morning, so not only will I be raising a stink, I'll be causing quite a loud semi-sustained sound too. :thumbsup:

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drove by dozens of fireworks stands this week in Texas and Oklahoma wondering where to blow up the fireworks at. :confused:
I wanted to buy some.
I just didn't have time to ask any of the fireworks stand operators where I could enjoy thier products at.
My route has been heavy this week. :awman:

Still, this has been a very happy 4rth of july for me too. :)
Independence Day is a lot more than just fireworks anyway imho. :rock:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just BBQed some stuff to eat earlier then went up to the hill behind my neighborhood where my neighbors usually gather on the 4th to get a panoramic view of the Inland Empire area with several public firework shows over the cities in this region. I also decided to bring out the HID clamp lamp I made panned it back and forth for a little while.

My city does not allow consumer fireworks to be discharged but some people set them off anyway. :naughty: I met a family a little later that had been setting off fireworks in their backyard when they decided to join the rest of us on the hill to watch the fireworks. After most of the others left; I bought out a "Mad Dog Fire Krackle" (green snake-like thing that sounds like firecrackers) and a modified Piccolo Pete (the middle was crimped with channel-lock pliers causing it to explode at the end of the whistle) and we just set them off in the street at the bottom of the hill.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
From one of my websites, comes this news story {emphasis on the Whistling Pete}:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seattle, WA
For the third year in a row, portable toliet bowls exploded in Myrtle Edwards Park this 4th of July. The popped potties were likely victims of illegal fireworks such as M1500's, M1000's, and possibly, Whistling Petes crimped with hose clamps - this frequently causes the normally innocuous, whistling firework to explode with much force. Damage to the portable cans is expected to be severe - more than just a urinator blown off a wall or a door with a hole blasted in it. City workers probably won't know the true extent of things until daylight.

The booming biffies could be heard by city residents 20 blocks or more away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And another incident, same website but different Independence Day:

Seattle WA.
Again this year, a number of Sani-Kans were damaged or destroyed by fireworks over the Fourth Of July holiday weekend. There is no word of any arrests, but the kinds of fireworks used included large bottle rockets, seal bombs, large Roman candles, and M-1000's.
One toliet was apparently damaged when several Whistling Petes, a type of relatively safe firework designed primarly for noise; were crimped with hose clamps (which causes them to forcefully explode) and then taped to the urinator and to the top & front of the toliet's waste tank.
Other Sani-Kans simply had doors, sinks & urinators blown off and were easily repairable.

Last edited:

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
From one of my websites, comes this news story {emphasis on the Whistling Pete}:

Seattle, WA
For the third year in a row, portable toliet bowls exploded in Myrtle Edwards Park this 4th of July. The popped potties were likely victims of illegal fireworks such as M1500's, M1000's, and possibly, Whistling Petes crimped with hose clamps - this frequently causes the normally innocuous, whistling firework to explode with much force. Damage to the portable cans is expected to be severe - more than just a urinator blown off a wall or a door with a hole blasted in it. City workers probably won't know the true extent of things until daylight.

The booming biffies could be heard by city residents 20 blocks or more away.

And another incident, same website but different Independence Day:

Seattle WA.
Again this year, a number of Sani-Kans were damaged or destroyed by fireworks over the Fourth Of July holiday weekend. There is no word of any arrests, but the kinds of fireworks used included large bottle rockets, seal bombs, large Roman candles, and M-1000's.
One toliet was apparently damaged when several Whistling Petes, a type of relatively safe firework designed primarly for noise; were crimped with hose clamps (which causes them to forcefully explode) and then taped to the urinator and to the top & front of the toliet's waste tank.
Other Sani-Kans simply had doors, sinks & urinators blown off and were easily repairable.

Hopefully nobody was using those toilets when the fireworks went off! :toilet::huh::poof::awman: