Need some new Tunes !!!!

jtice

Flashaholic
I dont know about you, but I find it very, very hard to find good music these days.
I hate just about anything you ever hear on the radio, most bands sound the same now.

I am into alot of different things, but I tend to stick to 3 types,
HEAVY: Metallica, Tool, Disturbed, Trivium, Godsmack, Rage against the Machine, Etc.
CLASSIC, OLDER ROCK: Zepplin, Black Sabbith, Skynard, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Hendrix, Eric Clapton. Pink Floyd, Etc.
INBETWEEN: Red Hot Chilli Peppers, NIN, System of a Down, Pearl Jam, Primus, Soundgarden, etc.

I am especially looking for some good classy bluesy lead guitar stuff like Clapton, Vaughan, and Hendrix.
But, ones for the other genres would be welcome also.

Thanks, rock on ! :rock: :candle:
~John

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you need some White Stripes. Jack and Meg are bluesy and clever. Icky Thump is their newest album. Jack White has a side project called The Raconteurs that is also quite good.

tedjanxt

Enlightened
Metal: Fight, Dope, Drowning Pool
Classic Metal: Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Anthrax

I am especially looking for some good classy bluesy lead guitar stuff like Clapton, Vaughan, and Hendrix.
Try Kenny Wayne Shepherd, or for *really* classic bluesy stuff, try "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" or "Blues Jam in Chicago Vol. 1"

Both by Fleetwood Mac

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
**** Dale and the Deltones. Brian Setzer with the Stray Cats and the Orchestra, Most of the blues classics, White Stripes, Linkin Park, Liz Phar, King Crimson, Frank Zappa, All the classic 60's and 70's groups, You name it, I will listen to it. I switch between the Alt-rock station and the blues station on Sirius presently. WIth some Miami Steve Van Zandt's Underground thrown in for good measure.

Basically I will listen to everything but country, opera and most hip hop

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look up Apocalyptica. They're a Finnish band of classically trained cellists that has done covers of various Metallica songs, among others and their own songs. Fantastic stuff. I never would have thought "The Unforgiven" could give me goosebumps, but it does.

:buddies:

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks alot guys, I am looking up alot of these bands,
some I had already, but some are new :)

Diesel_Bomber,
Yep, known about them for a while, awesome stuff.
You may want to search for "string tributes" there are some for Tool, etc.

~John

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a lot of those bands. Perhaps you'd like Pain. They're mostly rock with a bit of "where the heck did that come from?" thrown in, but I discovered them on a sampler CD of punk rock. :shrug:

How much do I like Pain, you ask? I'd estimate that I've listened to each of their three albums around 100 times. So, a lot.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I listen to alot of the same stuff you listed and haven't found much new music that I like either. A couple that I've run into recently that you might want to check out are: Stereophonics (I like their live stuff best) Thievery Corporation (Very different than the bands you mentioned, but worth a listen.)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a lot of everything so here are some bands (recent/old/really old and in no particular order) that will make most people stand up and take notice, and a lot of these you already know, but I like to jog the memory:

- The Animals
- The Yardbirds (remember, at one time or another this band had guitar hacks like Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, and that sounds like he plays with his knuckles guy named Clapton)
- Rockpile/Dave Edmunds/Nick Lowe
- The Ventures (but you've absolutely gotta already know about The Ventures)
- Deke ****erson
- Los Straightjackets
- Supersuckers
- The Reverend Horton Heat
- Social Distortion

I really like some stuff from the LA punk/rockabilly era of the 80's:

- The Blasters
- Dave Alvin (from The Blasters -- does lots of different styles of music)
- X (some search engines work better under "X the band")
- The Knitters (country music from members of X and Dave Alvin)
- The Pleasure Barons (Dave Alvin, Mojo Nixon, Country **** Montana)
- Los Lobos
- Black Flag

Or if you like the bluesy guitars, just go for the real thing, some good old electric blues:

- Elmore James
- Muddy Waters
- Jimmy Reed
- Hound Dog Taylor
- Howlin' Wolf

Last edited:

Mad1

Enlightened
Checkout dragonforce, they are a little bit differernt.

Audioslave are good although they have split up now, they were chris cornell from soundgarden and the rest were from RATM bar the singer.

Foo fighters are good but mite be a bit too indie for you.

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
Checkout dragonforce, they are a little bit differernt.

Audioslave are good although they have split up now, they were chris cornell from soundgarden and the rest were from RATM bar the singer.

Foo fighters are good but mite be a bit too indie for you.

+1 on Dragonforce, I saw them live at the Download Festival this year and they were awesome! The album "Inhuman Rampage" is by far the best.
Maybe a bit of symphonic metal from Nightwish? Might not be heavy enough for you though.
Killswitch Engage are worth a look too if you haven't already heard of them.

Hope this helps!

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dream Theater \m/ Their new album, Systamatic Chaos, is pretty darn good! A lot harder, darker than previous albums.

Liquid Tension Experiment
Symphony X -- I am just starting to listen to them.

Dream Theater is going on tour with Into Eternity and Redemption, so I am starting to listen to them as well. They're not that bad.

-C

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
I've been finding a lot of new music lately, all kinds, on Pandora.com. You tell them what you like, either song or artist, and they play songs in a similar vein. They do quite a good job of matching up what I like. Good luck!
--Bob

GregY

Newly Enlightened
I've been finding a lot of new music lately, all kinds, on Pandora.com. You tell them what you like, either song or artist, and they play songs in a similar vein. They do quite a good job of matching up what I like. Good luck!
--Bob

+1

I have kind of disjointed taste, a like a little of this and a little of that in no really obvious pattern. People recommending music for me just doesn't really work, but I've found alot of stuff that I like that I never even knew about before through Pandora. (The down side is I've had to 'thumb's down' a lot of really awful junk, but nothing's perfect.)