PEAK recommendations

goathens

Newly Enlightened
HI all, I'm hoping this is the proper forum for this post.

I've been EDCing a cmg infinity ultra for like 4 years now. It's currently available from gerber, so you know what light I have been using for a while.

Reflecting on my experience with the light, I have this input:
- I like AA's; the extra weight is ok since all my other electronics use AA and they are the cheapest/easiest to find.
- this thing is too weak for use in urban environments. There's a difference between using this in the woods (as the only source of light) and needing it to illuminate the dark corner of a poorly lit storage room.
- I like a more spot-like, longer-distance beam.
- aluminum (well, HAII aluminum) gets nicked up alot in my pocket. I need more durability. Also, I hate the interior/threads of the light getting the aluminum oxide (black smudgies).

So, now I am looking to upgrade, and have decided on PEAK LED.

What do you guys think would be good for me?
is brass a bit stronger than the aluminum? or should i go straight to steel?
If i go for a 2-AA body instead of 1-AA, what performance improvements will i get? brighter light or longer runtime? how about total weight comparison?
I hear the 5mm led's don't throw as well as a luxeon/p4 in a reflector, but what are the performance differences between luxeons and P4's sold at Peak (including total useful life of the bulb)?

thanks.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I'm going to assume that this is the right place to discuss this sorta thing.
From what you describe, I think you would like a Peak Pacific ultra power with a single AA body. Ultra Power has plenty of brightness and still usable run time.Becasue the Pacific uses a high power LED, it also uses a reflector so the beam has a definite hot spot with plenty of spill. It's available in Luxeon and Soul P4 I believe. Also available are Stainless Steel and Brass but aluminum is just fine IMHO. You can't go wrong with this light.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I too EDC a Infinity Ultra, and am looking for a replacement.

I'm trying to decide between AAA keychain size and AA with a clip. I have no interest in amassing a roomful of low quality, cheap DX lights.

The Baltic looks to be the thinnest AAA, and the Pacific looks useful, with all the body options (I think; the website does not make this clear; it could be the same light under two different names as far as I can tell). Can anyone tell me about Peak Lego?

But the Peak website! I thought they had updated it, but it's as bad as ever. Are the output figures for the lux lights or the SSC? Why can't they put together a comparison chart like the Fenix 'feature matrix'?

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pax et Lux: I asked similar questions, and was told to call Peak directly. Apparently their customer service is great over the phone, and they can answer any question you have.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Peak Pacific with AA pocket tube. This is one of the smallest AA lights. The High Power version will be much brighter than your Infinity with a nice spot beam similar to a regular flashlight. It can give you over 12 hours of good regulated light when using a lithium battery.

For a little more punch you can get the Ultra Power version. The Ultra Power version can give about 5-6 hours on a lithium battery. I have both output modles and like them a lot. My ultra power version uses a SSC LED and I think has a great balance of output and runtime. It puts out more light than an old 2D flashlight.

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
goathens:

I have to EDC a flashlight and a tonne of other stuff during 19-hour long polar nights. (CPR mask/gloves, first aid kit, multi-tool, etc)

Peak makes very good stuff; I started looking for a used Peak Matterhorn for quite a while on the used forums here. In the end an older Arc-AAA came up at an affordable price on the buy/sell forums at CPF and I went that route.

I make the plug here that the 1AAA lights will be brighter than what you are used to with an Infinity light, and significantly smaller and lighter, which you will appreciate, particularly if you have to walk/run at work!

While I have EDC'd a 2xAA light, the Arc or Matterhorn 1xAAA lights are much, much smaller, to the point you really don't notice them, so that is the route I reccommend. I do reccommend that you thread a ID-badge clip through their split ring and back up the pocket clip with that, as the pocket clip can come off if you snag a pocket on something.

The 1xAAA lights are light weight enough that they can be turned into instant head-lamps by shoving them under a watch-cap, baseball cap or hair bandanna, stuff you can't do with larger, heavier AA models.

enlightenment!

paulr

Flashaholic
I have a stainless steel Matterhorn. It is built like a tank, but weighs a ton. I'm in the process of buying a Pacific in titanium. That should weigh less than the stainless, still be very tough, and ti has that bling factor.

bananas

Newly Enlightened
I'll second what paul r said it sounds like a pacific p4 titanium in either hi power or if you want reaaaaaly good run time xlr would suit the bill. Infinity's have got great runtime and you might miss that if you get one of the higher powered options. This is the other access to there store http://store.peakledsolutions.net/ind.html which shows you a list of whats available. I dont know why they dont have all these accessories available in the other store.

arty

Enlightened
I have Pacifics in brass and HA, in ultra power and high power. Mine are all the lux 3W versions.
The AA in HP will give you about 215 CP. In 3V form, a CR2 body gives you about 300 or so, but the Ultra in CR2 gives you over 400 CP.
I recommend getting the Pacific with both bodies, the AA and CR2. I have a Baltic, and it is longer than the Pacific with an AA pocket body. The brass is nice in CR2, but a bit heavy with the AA body.
If I got another Peak, I'd consider the stainless form.

h_nu

Enlightened
I have the Pacific in HA with the Luxeon and in stainless steel with the SSC emitter. I put the stainless head on my aluminum body and it still feels heavy. If you don't mind the weight stainless is OK. I'd go with the aluminum. Peak is a good choice for your replacement EDC.

onthebeam

Enlightened
Sorry for the thread hijack. . .I have no interest in amassing a roomful of low quality, cheap DX lights.

Not the appropriate place, and no reason to damn EVERYTHING a dealer sells. I've only bought one light from this particular dealer, but it's superb. Suggest you use the Underground if these kinds of comments appeal to your personality type.

Now, on to the real subject of this thread. . . I have the Caribbean and it has been terrific, especially with the addition of the momentary clicky switch. The TWOK it came with was one of my two best Luxeons. DataLED is upgrading to a Seoul led for me.

Used to have a Glacier Bay which is not quite as bright but has a longer runtime and doesn't warm up as much.

Brass looks cool but is heavier in the pocket and needs to be shined up from time to time.

Last edited:

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
How are those brass models? Do they tarnish quickly? I had to polish brass junk around the house when I was a kid and just a fingerprint would leave a tarnished spot. Plus the nasty fumes of Brasso polish... :green: