Question - Brookstone Microbeam

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

>>> Clicky <<<

Does anyone here have any experience of this photon-esque keychain light from Brookstone?

If you have, how does it copmpare to the photon? :candle:

And if poorer (which I am expecting), is it possible to put Photon gubbins into the Microbeam? :thinking:

Many thanks.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only unique thing about it that sets it apart from every other coin-cell light on the market is the metal body. Since they don't really say anything else about it, the $50 price they're asking is just ridiculous. You're better off getting a real Photon, like a Freedom or something, with all the handy modes. You could also get several dozen $0.50 "faux"tons from DX or QCG or wherever.

the servents of twilight

Newly Enlightened
I had one. (brookstone) I don't have a photon. I liked the brookstone one alot. Small and bright, but i would always accidently hit the switch. Than when I needed it, it would be dead. I spilt glue all over it and pitched it. I bought some cheap ones on ebay. Same battery combo and a better switch so it wouldn't turn on by accident. The only thing was it wasn't bright. I tried swaping out the LED from the brookstone one, but the wires were to short. The point is with the small lights that run on 2 2016 coin cells - some are brighter than others (I am guessing LED), some are designed better, and some are made better. I have absolutely no use for those lights anymore - been replaced by a LOD-CE. Way, way better and worth the few xtra bucks.

the servents of twilight

Newly Enlightened
I didn't see the link the first time. I had the $20.00 one. Switch looks the same. Not worth anything if you accidently turn it on, with out knowing, all the time. It is much easier to change the batteries in any other flashlight I owned. :thumbsdow

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
According the the Wall Street Journal it's the "best overall" keychain light money can buy.
:crackup::crackup::crackup:
Ah yes the Wall Street Journal... the definitive authority on all flashlights.
$50 :confused: Sounds about $30 too high considering it appears to be just a simple on/off light. I think I'll be pass on this one.

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
so is the switch a slidy or a clicky, and is it momentory or latching?

p.s. I am not suggesting anyone get this, nor am I advocating its price tag. I just like shiny things :help:

(the link I posted is to the die-cast silver model (I am presuming this means made from steel, but I suppose it could be made from silver))

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Does anyone here have any experience of this photon-esque keychain light from Brookstone?

If you have, how does it copmpare to the photon? :candle:

And if poorer (which I am expecting), is it possible to put Photon gubbins into the Microbeam? :thinking:

Many thanks.

I bought a couple of those several months ago. Want a review?.....

It's a piece of freaking $#^t! :mad:

How does it compare to a Photon? it doesn't!
Why would you want to take something from a high-quality product, and put it into garbage?

Simply put, I got ripped off. The Microbeam is a .99 cent light sold through Brookstone stores for what can only be described as an obscene mark-up.

carrot

Flashaholic
Why would anyone play MORE for a clone, if it offers nothing more? I played with Brookstone's Microbeam lights at the store and I came away not impressed. They are a knockoff, appearing to be built from inferior plastic (in this case, silver, but shinying up a light doesn't make it better) and the "budget" range sell for $20 without an on/off switch. :thumbsdown:

You can pick up a geniune Photon for under $10 and it will give you years of faithful service. The only maintenance I ever did on a Photon was change the batteries or tweak the leads a bit for better switching. On the Photon Freedom, the design is much improved, and you can prevent it from turning on accidentally by either putting it in momentary mode or slipping it backwards into the necklace attachment that is included.

the servents of twilight

Newly Enlightened
It has been a while, but I think that the switch would slide up to turn on (lock into place). Might have a had a momentary function too - I don't remember.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It has been a while, but I think that the switch would slide up to turn on (lock into place). Might have a had a momentary function too - I don't remember.

You push down on top of the button for momentary. You slide it forward to lock it into place for constant on. However, there's a tiny hole in the spot up front where it locks. If even the most microscopic amount of moisture gets in that tiny hole, the light turns on at half power.... and never shuts off. That's to be expected from a .99 cent, key-chain light. (Which is what the Microbeam really is). But Brookstone put their name on the button, and they sell the plastic version for $20 and the metal version for $50. :mad:

Out of curiosity, I tossed my Photon II into a cup of water for a few seconds, dried it off, and it worked perfectly! A Photon II might cost $15 or $20, but you actually get quality. You get a light that's going to work no matter what.

umberto

Newly Enlightened
I was given the Brookstone Microbeam Autolight as a present.....tI keep it left in my car's cigarette lighter all the time keeping it always charged and ready....it is fairly bright, and has a strong magnet to attach it to any metal surface while in flash mode in case your stuck on the side of the road...I think it is pretty handy to keep on hand, even if only for the magnet/flashmode feature.

I called Brookstone with some questions about it (such as is it OK to leave it plugged in all the time or is it better to let it run down occasionally and then plug it in to recharge fully)and of course Brookstone corporate customer service did some 'research' and emailed me a few days later to say they had no idea...typical

Gaffle

Enlightened
I called Brookstone with some questions about it (such as is it OK to leave it plugged in all the time or is it better to let it run down occasionally and then plug it in to recharge fully)and of course Brookstone corporate customer service did some 'research' and emailed me a few days later to say they had no idea...typical

:laughing:

Well thats reassuring.