GloTube FX

teststrips

Enlightened
At the east coast camping trip I won a green Glo-toob. I had read about this device, but had never seen one in person + was eager to play with it.

First off I need to thank LightHound for providing the glo-tube as a givaway item for our gathering.

Description - the glo tube is marketed as an Emergency/Safecty roadside light it is to provide between 30 and 80 hours of battery life on a single 23A cell depending on the mode you are in. "23A cell?" you ask - I hadn't heard of them either... it is about the 2/3 the size of a AAA cell + produces 12v. I checked walmart + I can get a dual pack for less than $3 bucks in my area. Worst case scenerio 3 bucks buys you 60 hours of runtime.

30 - 80 hours is a pretty wide spread... what's up with that? The glo-tube has 7 modes
- constant on 100%
- constant on 25%
- equal flash
- beacon strobe
- slow strobe (one quick flash every few seconds)
- sOS
- Throb (which causes the light to ramp up to full brightness then down to about 25% then repeat)

Due to the summertime - i haven't been out much past dark at all... (early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy + wise... I at least am healthy) I have used my Glo Tube a couple of times in the fog during walks with the dog + felt much safer since cars could see me. I also used it during the fireworks July 4th celebration last night.. we parked by the road + were on lawn chairs... i kept my glotube on the leg of my chair so oncoming drivers could see me.

All in all this is a great device - making sure other people see you can prevent many accidents - I don't know that I would have bought one just seeing pics of it on the web. - but now that I have one, I'll probalby buy a 2nd so I have one for both cars.

This Glo-tube has a retail price of 32.95, but can be purchased from lighthoud for 17.99 here -
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1214

smoses

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried the Glo-toob red? I've been looking for something like this for my camping/fishing trips. Seems pretty handy but I was wondering how the red Glo-toob interferes (or not) with night vision.