1C Tri Seoul --Cheers to Mirage_Man--

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, thought I'd share my latest mod with you all. It's a 3x Seoul Semiconductors P4 magmod, built in a "C" sized Maglite, cutdown to take one AW C cell and head finned by Mirage_Man.
I'm using IMS20 reflectors and a LITEmania tri-sink, the LEDs were also obtained from LITEmana.
On with the pictures:

DSC00187.jpg

The finished article.

DSC00191.jpg

Another view, minus tailcap and cell.

DSC00185.jpg

Before soldering of LEDs.

DSC00179.jpg

LEDs and heatsink

DSC00178.jpg

Switch assembly, the LEDs are wired in parrallel, with a current limiting resistor each, the resistors are mounted on the stripboard you can just see inside the switch barrel.

The beam is a nice large, smooth hotspot with a bright sidespill, I'm guessing about 300 lumens.

I'd like to thank Mirage_Man for the fantastic host, LITEmania for the heatink and emitters and the Sandwich Shoppe for the reflectors.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did Brian build the entire light for you or did he just do the finned head? Nice light!! I want one!!!

Weylan

Enlightened
Nice. Since the head is already finned, you need to add a tritinum capsule to the light. It really makes the light easy to find in the dark.

A little expoxy. And a capsule that fits in one of the fins and you should be set.

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
Brian just did the cutdown and head finning, I made the innards. There are some things you realy need a lathe for :).

Weylan, thanks for the idea, I had thought about putting some tritium on the heatsink inbetween the reflectors, but seeing as I store most of my lights bezel down, this wouldn't be very useful, your idea is much better.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, really nice light.
That must of cost a few quid in postage alone !
Do you have any idea what current you are driving the LED s at ?
I'm waiting to make a Tri LED mag, every time I decide what parts and which setup I will use, something else comes up, and then I think of another setup and change my mind. Round and round the ideas go.
One day I'll get round to it.

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
Essexman:
About 500mA I think. As for the triLED build, my advice is just go for it, they make a nice alternative to hotwires, throwing lots of light out the front and still giving respectable runtime.
This light is about the same size as my Surefire M3T, is brighter and runs for more than twice as long (in theory), and to top it all off, has a nice white beam. Sure, it won't throw as well, so the M3 still has it's place, but if you want to light up a large area the tri/quad mags are hard to beat.

Icarus:
Thanks, your lights rock.