BEAMSHOTS !!! - LED/INCAN/HID - My Collection

DiCEMAN

Newly Enlightened
The DiCEMAN BeamShot Shootout July 2007.
Special thanks to Glen @ Quarterflash for his support.

I decided to have a play with some of my fav lights.
Everyone LOVES Beamshots so here are a few that I put together this weekend.

My Weapons of choice were -
DSC03067_th.JPG

Fenix P3D-CE (2x E2 Primaries)
Wolf-Eyes Defender II EO 170Lumen (1x168A)
Surefire E2E w/ Lumens Factory 7.2V EO-E2R (2xRCR123A)
Wolf-Eyes Raider 9A w/ Lumens factory EO-9 (2x150A)
Wolf-Eyes 12V M100 Rattlesnake (4xE2 Primaries)
Wolf-Eyes M300 (3x168A)
Wolf-Eyes Boxer 24W HID (3x168A)

Ok, Yes there is a Wolf-Eyes theme here but what can I say? I LOVE Them!!!
There are 2 Shoots - Indoor & Outdoor.
I used my living room, a bench and tree at the soccer oval accross the road.
All Photo's were taken on a Tripod with the light held 35cms below the Lens.
Camera was the SONY DSC-P200 7MP Cybershot.

Indoor details -
Corner of room = 7 metres away
ISO=100
WB=Daylight
F=3.2
Shutter=1/2sec

Outdoor details -
Chair = 12 metres away
ISO=100
WB=Daylight
F=3.2
Shutter=2 seconds
Now for the photos you've all been waiting for......

Inside Control Shot
DSC03073_th.JPG

DSC03076_th.JPG

DSC03077_th.JPG

DSC03078_th.JPG

DSC03079_th.JPG

DSC03080_th.JPG

Wolf-Eyes M300 (3x168A) - SPOT
DSC03081_th.JPG

Wolf-Eyes M300 (3x168A) - WIDE
DSC03084_th.JPG

Wolf-Eyes Boxer 24W HID (3x168A) - SPOT
DSC03082_th.JPG

Wolf-Eyes Boxer 24W HID (3x168A) - WIDE
DSC03083_th.JPG

DSC03087_th.JPG

DSC03088_th.JPG

DSC03089_th.JPG

DSC03090_th.JPG

DSC03091_th.JPG

Wolf-Eyes M300 (3x168A) - SPOT
DSC03092_th.JPG

Wolf-Eyes M300 (3x168A) - WIDE
DSC03093_th.JPG

Wolf-Eyes Boxer 24W HID (3x168A) - SPOT
DSC03094_th.JPG

Wolf-Eyes Boxer 24W HID (3x168A) - WIDE
DSC03095_th.JPG

So as you can see, each light performs different inside and out.
By keeping the exposure the same as a reference, I can't possibly account for the 150 Lumen to 1800 Lumen range of my selected lights, But you get the idea. It was HARD to truly capture the SPILL of most of the lights and I was zoomed in 1.4x to frame a more detailed shot.

My Conclusions... The Raider is still my favourite light - It's size and throw/spill make it very versatile. The M300 is a monster if you want an INCAN Flood, the range of focus is great but it doesn't fit in your back pocket Still gets a thumbs up. The Boxer = Sensational but it wasn't fair to use it here.... I'll compare that to my new toy when it arrives in a week.... More shots then.

DiCEMAN

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Excellent pics - very useful indeed. All those people who are currently going mad with excitement about getting Cree drop-ins should take a look at this, with the Cree getting slaughtered by 2-cell incan.

It is quite interesting that the Raider seems to keep pace with the much larger M100. It's probably why the M90 is much more popular than the M100, with the EO-13 option being so much more powerful.

The M300 looks good on spot - it looks like a fairly wide spot - but on the wide setting it doesn't look so impressive, with what looks like a hole in the centre of the beam. Is it better than that in reality?

As for the Boxer 24W, well that is a serious piece of kit. What is the time lag on it from switch-on until you get full power?

DiCEMAN

Newly Enlightened
1stly, Thanks to Glen @ Quarterflash for the Use of the M300 and the M100, I sincerely apologise for not crediting you in the 1st post.

The M100 is a pencil beam basically. Useful spot but designed to have a very narrow hotspot that throws forever.. And it does.

I really prefer The Raider w/EO-9. Small bezel and Yes, it kicks.
I have used the 13V Rattlesnake with EO-13 and let me tell you at 700Lumens...WOW. I might try to borrow it to set up for the same shots just to show you the difference :):) Glen?

The M300 at full wide has little throw and yes, it is a bit messy. Once you focus it down a bit you get a considerable amount of throw and a much cleaner beam. I still rate it as a great light simply due to the WALL of light it gives you.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Diceman
Great work, excellent pics and great collection. I am envious of the Boxer. Love the beam shots :thumbsup:

Funny when i was looking through your beam shots i thought gee the Raider is a great light and then at the end of your post you mention it is your favourite, as it is mine and hence the reason i use it and trust it everyday night while on duty.

The M300 looks impressive, good wall of light, would be interested to see it in person, is there any chance you could do some more beam shots with a little more distance? I know it is hard but i would like to see how the M300 goes for throw.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awsome. The M300 sure has a warm tint. The more I see HID beam shots; the more I want one. Thanks for the work.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested to know approx. run times for each of those lights at the output used in the photos.

DiCEMAN

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

DM51 - With the Boxer, I found that there is plenty useable light in about 7secs - Then on to full in about 21-25 secs.

KeeperSD - Yes mate, the raider does everything. Light, Spill, Throw, Size and with 2xSpare 150A's runtime too. It's the one I grab 1st everytime.
I'll work on some more shots just on the M300 for you:D

DUQ - I played around with the idea of getting the boxer for sometime. Infact, I was almost going to buy the WE Dragon about 18months ago... I couldn't be happier than when I bit the bullet and just bought it. It feels great and until you use it you don't really appreciate how powerful it is.:thumbsup:

WadeF - I haven't done a full runtime test as yet. It will only be to cut out as I don't have any fancy graphing gear or a light box. I'll work on it and get the results posted.
The Boxer AND the M300 I have run a few times and I get just over 60 minutes everytime with both of them.

Tessaiga - I have put in the question for the official answer. Will let you know when I get it. Personally, I think the shots speak for themselves but I'll wait to know for sure.

DiCEMAN:cool:

jlomein

Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots. Now I am seriously considering a WE Raider 9A or SF P9/G3 with EO-9 as a lightweight compact thrower (as opposed to my bigger 2C ROP LE). Hopefully the EO-9 on two 17500 is much brighter than the HO-9 on two RCR123. I'm also thinking about a M300 as an outdoor L4 kind of flood light.

I'd love to get the cheaper 10W Boxer, but I don't think I'd have any use for it. I always want to have maximum light immediately when I activate the switch, and HIDs don't seem to offer that.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
I don't think you will be disappointed with the ouput from the EO9, but if you haven't already got a host i would go for the Raider or something similar that could run 18500's rather than the 17500's, giving you a little more run time. The EO9 is heavy on the cells. I am not sure if it will give you the throw of the Maglite though......

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Diceman. how do you find that LF E0-9 is for heat? Im running the WE 9v in my Sniper and was thinking of picking up an E0-9.

DiCEMAN

Newly Enlightened
Hey, It comes with a warning not to run it for more that 10 minutes at a time. It does get nice and warm reasonably quickly. I never use it for much more than bursts of light so I have never had an issue.
You won't be sorry if you get one, put it that way... :D

Latest posts