Beginer starting small. LEDs ROCK!!!

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
I've only really been getting into the addiction fairly recently. I had been looking at some Wolf Eyes (definitely later) but I figured I'd get my feet wet before jumping in. I went to Wal-Mart with my wife last night so she could get a few things. I wandered over to the Sorting goods dept. They had 2-D cell LED Mag-Lites on clearance for $15. There was also a new item. a Rayovac Sportsman's Extreme (80 lumen 3AAA 2 hr run time). They also had Dorcy Metal Gear LED's marked down to $15. I knew I had it bad when I stood there for an hour and a half trying to decide which one I wanted. Then I ended up buying all three! I played with them till about 3 am.
I'm kinda curious what you guy's think of my first choices. I wanted to make sure I'd dig buyin all these light I've been lookin at by testing the water on some inexpensive lights. I'M HOOKED!!!

Last edited:

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
I hear you! I already have future plans to get a Black Bear Borealis and a few Wolf Eye's. Also I'm liking the idea of the Malkof and TerraLux up grades for an old Mag-Lite I have. I'm actually giving up part of my gun hobby. If you knew me well enough you'd know that is a very big deal. My daughter bought me a little Garrity 9 LED light at Wal-Mart for fathers day. Believe it or not it is an awesome little light. It's only good for about 10-12 feet but it's very bright within it's range.

I'm all messed up huh? Probably more than I realize.:eek: :D

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! And beware...there are SO many badass lights out there.
I started out with an Inova XO3 and then I had a few mag-lites I modded with an LED, and then I bought an Orb Raw when it came out, and then I bought a Streamlight Propoly Luxeon 4AA. I would recommend all of them!

It sounds like you got some good lights already. I recommend checking out the Inova lights from Target for starters...they're realllll nice.

Cheers!

Dan

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
Well for the last two posts, I have a Inova key chain light! I really like thier T3.:thumbsup:

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
nerdgineer
I'd check out the Fenixes (like at Fenix-Store). Check reviews at Flashlightreviews. Top-of-the-line LED lights at middle-of-the-line prices...

I have been. I definitely want a PD3! I would tell you guys how much time I spend on Flashlightreviews but it might be embarrassing.:whistle: It's an awesome sight!!!!

You know I knoticed that on the Dorcy Metal Gear package it say's that the beam projects 100 feet. I'll be d..... if that's not right on the money! I love it when something works as advertised. If any of you guys have never tried one you should. For a less than $20 light it is awesome and will take heaps of abuse.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The next step is to work on them batteries. Light performance depend a lot on batteries. Most of us folks here graduated to using rechargeables since we found out we were using too many alkalines and throwing these away is bad for the environment.

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
The next step is to work on them batteries. Light performance depend a lot on batteries. Most of us folks here graduated to using rechargeables since we found out we were using too many alkalines and throwing these away is bad for the environment.
I definitely don't have a problem with that! I tend to play with my lights allot so rechargeables would be great. I was looking at a nice set up at Lowes. Nihm rechargeables I think it was. For the AA and AAA any ways. I'm not really sure where to start nor do I know what kinds I can and can't use in what lights. I especially do not know what to do about the D-Cells. I'm definitely up for suggestions!!;)

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
For AAA and AA. Go for either the Sanyo Eneloop (Circuit City) or the Rayovac Hybrid (Target/Walmart). Stay away from the Energizer 2500 mAh AA.

The C and D are a bit more of a challenge.

You may want to go to the battery part of this forum and ask the folks over there. Read up on the threads about recharghables while you are there.

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
Ahh! Very cool. I was actually looking at the Rayovac's last night! Thanks for the tip on the battery section. Honestly I havent been on here enough to know of all the resources. Thank you! :twothumbs

Brian.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not all Rayovacs are the same. Make sure to get the "Hybrid" ones. Getting a decent charger is the next step after batteries.

bouncer

Enlightened
I hear you! I already have future plans to get a Black Bear Borealis and a few Wolf Eye's. Also I'm liking the idea of the Malkof and TerraLux up grades for an old Mag-Lite I have. I'm actually giving up part of my gun hobby. If you knew me well enough you'd know that is a very big deal. My daughter bought me a little Garrity 9 LED light at Wal-Mart for fathers day. Believe it or not it is an awesome little light. It's only good for about 10-12 feet but it's very bright within it's range.

I'm all messed up huh? Probably more than I realize.:eek: :D

Ya you're hooked Welcome to the addiction

wintermute

Enlightened
Get Eneloops at Battery Bobs - price for 2 is $5.14 regularly and you get 10% off when you use the discount code "Sheep". This includes shipping also, and fast shipping at that. I got 4 x AA Eneloops from Battery Bob for $9.25 shipped. Great price compared to anywhere else I have seen.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Another place that is Flashaholic friendly is Target. Their Lighting section is tough to beat.

When you go there, three lights I can recommend right off the bat are the Brinkman Maxfire LX for $17.... A less expensive Surefire G2, for all practical purposes. Then, the River Rock 2AAA model at $9.99. Seven hours of continuous runtime and quite bright. And finally, the River Rock 1watt, 1AA model that gives 42 lumens of light at $23. (Not to be confused with the RR 1AA model that has no clip and a barrel-mounted clickie).

I own all three, and they are all winners. :twothumbs

Target also sells some Inova models. X1, X5, and X0 are the more common ones you'll encounter.

Last edited:

GregY

Newly Enlightened
Sure, you start small with the less expensive lights just to get your feet wet. Then you do some research, learn what else is out there and soon you're on your way. Excellent. :)

I kind of started the same way. For years I had my trusty Mags, a AA for around-the-house and personal use and 2x 4D lights, one for my nightstand and one for my car.

Then I read about the X1 (in 2006) and bought it at Target. So cheap, so bright compared to my AA Mag. Then I picked up MagLED dropins for my 4D lights at Home Depot. Cheap, and now my 4D's have better output and *days* instead of hours of runtime.

Now I have an Arc-P for my keychain and a (customized) L1 on the way and I am *seriously* looking into some additional purchases: a Fenix or two for general "backup" and "kitchen drawer" duty, a Millermod Arc, rechargable batteries, Cree dropins for my 4D lights...

I'm also tempted to start giving Arc-P's or maybe Fenix L1D CEs as Christmas and birthday presents. :)

GregY

Newly Enlightened
Cree drop ins for Mag-Lites? Where o where do I get those!!:twothumbs

Did some doublechecking- I was thinking of the new TerraLux dropins, you can find them in the "Cree Store" section on batteryjunction.com, but they're SSC. Close enough. :)