Mag 2D MOD suggestions

Gaffle

Enlightened
I have a 2D mag sitting around doing absolutely nothing. I would like some suggestions about a quick easy mod. I know maybe "quick" and "easy" may not suit the whole mod aspect, but what the hell. Maybe I'll get lucky?:naughty:

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Here is a link with lots of info on 2d mod options. One of my favorite thread since it discussed some of the basic electronics of resistance, battery choice with matching of bulb to battery.

Enjoy Jim

Valolammas

Enlightened
The quickest and easiest is of course Maglite's own LED-module, but maybe that's too easy.

If you want actually do something, it's easy (although not very quick) to build a 6AA to 2D adapter and use NiMH cells to turn a 2D into a 6-cell light. Using a 6-cell xenon lamp, it's actually reasonably bright. This will not require any modification to the light itself and the cost is negligible.

For a fairly impressive light, it's even easier to make a PR-based bi-pin adapter and use the MagCharger bulb. When overdriven with 6 cells, the MC bulb burns at ca. 11W, so it's about as hot as you can go with the stock reflector & lens. Actually, an extended run with the MC bulb may very well damage them so keep an eye on it.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Here is a link with lots of info on 2d mod options. One of my favorite thread since it discussed some of the basic electronics of resistance, battery choice with matching of bulb to battery.

Enjoy Jim

excuse me, I'm interested in this thread but I can't see any link:oops:...

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast

jpmblok

Newly Enlightened
Need help getting few parts to europe

Hello all, I am new here, in the hope for help. I live in Finland and try to give my Maglite 2D the "famous" ROP treatment, but here in Europe getting parts is impossible as far as I know. I could order the parts from three, possibly two different store's but shipping costs make the modification too expensive. I emailed the Sandwich Shoppe with the question if they could provide me the parts I need, but they didn't reply..(yet)

What I need;

* Pelican #3854 bulb, 11W (low output) and 24W (high output)
* Borofloat 52.1mm lens
* Metal reflector, polished and cammed, so I can still focus, rather white and not an orange (Carley RF1940 ?)
* 2D to 6AA battery adapter

Anyone helpful suggestions where to get the items all at one and the same store?

Last edited:

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Need help getting few parts to europe

Hello all, I am new here, in the hope for help. I live in Finland and try to give my Maglite 2D the "famous" ROP treatment, but here in Europe getting parts is impossible as far as I know. I could order the parts from three, possibly two different store's but shipping costs make the modification too expensive. I emailed the Sandwich Shoppe with the question if they could provide me the parts I need, but they didn't reply..(yet)

What I need;

* Pelican #3854 bulb, 11W (low output) and 24W (high output)
* Borofloat 52.1mm lens
* Metal reflector, polished and cammed, so I can still focus, rather white and not an orange (Carley RF1940 ?)
* 2D to 6AA battery adapter

Anyone helpful suggestions where to get the items all at one and the same store?

a CPFer called FiveMega sells these parts.
I think he has got bulbs, borolens, and reflectors in stock but I know that 2D>6AA adapters are out of stock...you can try to contact him to have some informations about a 2nd run...

horizonseeker

Enlightened
Re: Need help getting few parts to europe

you can get most of the parts from shops with free shipping:

LITEMANIA (if he starts shipping again, $5 shipping): 3AA - D adapter x 2

Kaidomain (waiting for my order to see quality): reflector, glass lense (not borofloat), D-Lion instead of AA adapter and charger, 4G bulb adapter with xenon bulbs.

opticplanet (free shipping with $29 order or higher): pelican bulb

jpmblok

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your fast replies.

Fillipo, I rightaway contacted megafive. See what happens.

Horizonseeker, thanks too! I have hope.. Even when megafive can't get me what I need.

I'll post what'll happen next... to be continued

jpmblok

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I ordered all the parts from Megafive. All together a lot of money though, but can't wait when it comes and i can start putting it all together.:ironic:

jpmblok