Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pelican VB3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please specify.

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters

CaptCarrot

Newly Enlightened
For a while I have been looking into replacing (or rather adding too) the Original Photons I have on my keychain. I have the old red, blue and white with momentory on only.

As per all Photon's I have heard about, barring battery changes, they are as good as new.

Many years ago, I also had an ASP Sapphire, which I also found to be very good.

In my quest to move forward, I have looked around and found several options that seem to fit the bill.

Which would you choose and why?

Also, the "Crystal" used in the ASP range of lights, is that the same as an LED but with their own marketing behind it, or is there actually something different about it?

I have voted other as I am unsure which one to choose.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Coin cell key-chain lights?

I use a Photon II. An Inova Microlight shares my key-chain as well, but I only carry that light for its emergency strobe feature, for a reason I'd rather not discuss.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a bunch of Photon IIIs when Photon was discontinuing them a couple of years ago...couldn't be happier. Sure the light is a bit blue, but they are really bright and I like the interface (good features and doesn't turn on accidentally in my pocket).

When I replace them, I'll buy more Photon Freedoms.

I also have a Victorinox Midnight Manager (small swiss army knife with a led), but it is really, really dim compared to the Photon and the switch turns on in my pocket - not a good interface. I wouldn't recommend it - really just a novelty.

paulr

Flashaholic
I like the Photon II design since the constant-on is useful. I'm not that crazy about the Freedom but that's just me. I have a genu-wine LRI Photon II on my keychain and a few more around the house, but I tend to put Fauxtons on everything since I see coin lights as occasional-use lights. Although I sort of collect them (I have a lot of different kinds) I generally don't look for more than just basic functionalit from them. If you want a more capable keychain light go for a 1AAA light.

Last edited:

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
I bought 10 of the Chinese versions for $5. I also have a Photon II. I prefer the cheap ones.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used, and given out to each member in my family Photons, most are the II model. I have qand would buy them again any time, they have proven to always be there when needed and have yet to ever let me down.

Artisan Bill

Newly Enlightened
I vote for the Photons. I especially like the Photon Freedom because of the great UI. I really like to be able to turn the lowest level on when needed. I have used and owned most of the lights on the list and I just keep comming back to the Photons. My Photon 2 is 7 years old and caried every day and still looks great.

Led75

Newly Enlightened
i agree photons are the best coin cell led,s every once in awhile ill still edc one usually it will be a white and a yellow

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd gladly buy another Garrity. It's three or four bucks at Walmart and has an overdriven, powerful flood for a coin cell (though you get a very blue tint because of it)
There's a twice-as-thick version with an on-off slider and dual LEDs that I saw at Walmart the other day. Didn't get a chance to try it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd gladly buy another Garrity.

I carried the coin cell Garrity light for a couple of months. I didn't mind the silver paint flaking off. But what bothered me was the hole in front of the button. The Microbeam from Brookstone has a smaller hole in the same spot. If even a microscopic amount of water gets in, the Microbeam instantly malfunctions.

Can't say if the same thing will happen with the Garrity model. But its hole is bigger and also leads to the electronics.

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
Well for me its the Inova Microlight. From three mode High,low, strobe, I love it. It was very useful when I check on my newborn, I would hang from my shirt collar before I lay to sleep. Try that with a photon. I bought three white from Academy 6 bucks is not bad for added peace of mind. Added Military soldiers use these for map reading, even saw one on an field officer in Iraq in the news on his lapel.

New daddy, Fred :grin2:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well for me its the Inova Microlight. From three mode High,low, strobe, I love it. It was very useful when I check on my newborn, I would hang from my shirt collar before I lay to sleep. Try that with a photon....

New daddy, Fred :grin2:

Congrats on countless sleepless nights! :D

BTW, I can do that with a Photon.... I know how to use tape! :thumbsup:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for hypercheap DX clones. Actually, I did go for hypercheap DX clones.
Not quite at the quality level of a photon, but you can get sixteen of them for the price of one of the cheapest photons. It's hard not to like them at that price.