Scratched lens

KingGlamis

Banned
My EDC is a Streamlight Twin-Task 2-L. I haven't even had it a month yet. For the most part this is a great light. Sure, I know there are much better lights, but I like this one. So anyway, as you can see in the pic below, the lens is scratched pretty good. What's weird is how the scratching is around the edges and not in the middle. And I carry it in my pocket lens-up so that hopefully nothing else in my pocket scratches it. Obviously that didn't work. Is it possible my pocket is scratching it? I didn't think about it when I bought it, but the lens must be plastic because I don't think a glass lens would scratch this easy (my OLD Minimag has much less scratching on the lens).

I guess my options are some sort of cover over the head of the light, or carrying the light in a belt holster, or... ???

What about a glass lens that is the same size? Anyone know where I can get one?

Is there a way to polish-out scratches on a plastic lens?

a1-6.jpg

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try the plastic headlight polish available at auto parts store.
If you replace the lens you have figure out how to get it out.

Last edited:

WDG

Enlightened
I've used a dab of Brasso on just my fingertips to polish several plastic items with excellent results, including a Parker 51, a plastic watch crystal and the lens of my ten year old Streamlight Scorpion. I've also heard of using Flitz, but have no personal experience with it. FWIW, it's not my impression that it really makes a huge difference in usability on the Scorpion.

barkingmad

Enlightened
If it's got scratched in just a month - even if you polish the scratches out you will be in the same position 1 month from now?

Think a mineral glass lens may be a better option?

KingGlamis

Banned
Thanks for all of the advice everyone. Today I figured out how it got scratched. I keep it in my pocket lens-up, and today when I pulled it out of my pocket there was a quarter sitting on the lens. I carry quarters a lot, so I'm sure this is what made the scratches. I guess I have to be a lot more careful when I put change in my pocket.