Would the SF A2 be good for me?

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
I know... there's a million of these threads... and I've tried to read through all of them! I'm kinda new here, got my SF L4 a week or so ago and I love it. Now I kind of want something that has a tighter beam for more throw, and a low mode for close-up. While I was thinking about which flashlight to get I ordered a Fenix P3D-CE for kicks...

While I was waiting for the P3D to come I was looking at the Lumapower M1 and the WE D2, both CREE LED's, both with a low mode. Then I got my P3D and noticed how annoying the low mode was... since it has the same beam pattern (tightly focused) as the other modes (obviously since the reflector is unchanged between modes). Another thing I noticed about the P3D is the build quality... which was a major let-down when compared to my L4. The threads feel kind of rough, the body is getting chipped already from very minor dings, and the lens doesn't seem all that strong. Also, I *hate* the switch. Not only is it a reverse clicky, but the button is so recessed that I strain my thumb sometimes to turn it on. The only advantage is being able to stand it up on the tail... which I have no use for. Thus... I feel that non SF lights wouldn't meet my now high expectations. :)

This is when I started researching the A2. I mainly want an EDC that allows me to read close-up in the dark but still able to throw a decent distance and perhaps give me a little more security at night (living in a big city is scary sometimes - I considered a SF E2D with a bulb upgrade from Lumens Factory but I still wanted that low mode). I was unsure about the main bulb being an incandescent since LED's basically last forever, but I've always liked the color rendering with an incandescent. When I compared the alleged 160 lumen turbo mode on the P3D to my L4... it didn't seem much brighter at all, just a tighter hotspot. Then I tested it with my buddy's SF 6P, which is only rated at 60 lumens... and the P3D didn't outshine it much at all. I've read that the lumen output of the A2's incandescent is actually closer to 80 lumens instead... which sounds nice. I would definitely consider getting the Aviatrix ring if I do get the A2.

However, I'm still a bit unsure since I don't like having to change incandescent bulbs when they die. Also, will there be a new Aviator from SF any time soon? And is it possible to upgrade the main incandescent bulb in the A2 like you can with the E-series from Lumens Factory?

Well if I haven't put you to sleep by now, thanks for reading!! Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, I'm still a bit unsure since I don't like having to change incandescent bulbs when they die. Also, will there be a new Aviator from SF any time soon? And is it possible to upgrade the main incandescent bulb in the A2 like you can with the E-series from Lumens Factory?

Lumens Factory confirmed that they have plans to make a new lamp for the A2, but they mentioned "it won't be anytime soon" - their schedule is full at the moment.

Anyway, the MA02 lamp will last very long - probably years of normal use. You might check the thread that defusion posted. Maybe it will last more than most of those LED lights on the market today (just read some posts, there is a quite big failure rate) - and when the lamp burns out, you just buy a new one, not so easy when a LED fails...
You can also read my thread to see how durable the lamp (and the whole flashlight) is.

carrot

Flashaholic
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. If you need a combination of low flood and bright throw, there's really only one option...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off topic a little. I just had to say that I agree with your comment about recessed tail switches...protruding ones are so much handier.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
Please bear in mind that Daniel and carrot are both A2 addicts. This could, in fact, distort their reality where A2's are concerned! I don't own and A2 but will in the near future, based in part on the rants and raves from these two gentlemen..:thumbsup:

Illum

Flashaholic
Please bear in mind that Daniel and carrot are both A2 addicts.

:crackup:
JS and greenLED originally started the A2 rage....carrot came in out of nowhere and dragged me in..
and now thanks to theorangeone, I now own 2 A2s...with the possibility of a third

if you want to see A2 addicts...look over at Atomic_chicken and DM51's collections

Last edited:

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Heh yeah I found these guys' reputations when I was searching around before...

Looks like a lot of A2 fans here... not one person recommending the Lumapower or WE over it? I guess I don't blame them... after I saw my friend's 6P outshine my more "high tech" 160 lumen P3D, I started looking into incandescent torches!

EDIT: Wow that's some collection!! Are the newer A2's the ones with the longer belt clip and scalloped head?

defusion

Enlightened
I'm trying to find a place that sells them cheaper then retail, AND ships internationally.
I'm trying ebay, and though they have them for $140-$150, shipping is often a bit vague.

yeah, the A2 bug bit me too...

Last edited:

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
A2 fans are the worst! :green:

Dinan,
You appear to have talked yourself into getting an A2 and so I say go for it!

Al :)

Yea that's a problem I've been having since I got my L4. So far I've talked myself into getting a Lumapower M1, a WE D2, and now a SF A2... but I haven't actually committed to any of those yet! So many decisions... :shrug:

Lately I've been pouring into numbers like run times and lumen output... then I saw some regular indoor/outdoor beam shots of a bunch of flashlights, the P3D and A2 among them. I was amazed that the 160 lumen P3D wasn't that great compared to the A2 rated at only 50 lumens! The WE D2 rated at 170 lumens wasn't much better than the P3D so I started thinking I should stop fooling around with LED's and try an incan...

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. If you need a combination of low flood and bright throw, there's really only one option...

Carrot is absolutely right, there is only one option :D

mcLunaSol27-proto.jpg

Last edited:

defusion

Enlightened
My EDC used to be the fenix l2d-ce, but didn't like the LED's for normal use, so i switched to a SF G2. But that doesn't have a low beam for close up work.
so yeah, the A2 is everything i should ever need in a compact flashlight.

no, it's not the brightest, or the smallest, or the most efficient. most people want at least one of these features.
I want something useful that isn't too small to handle in a normal way, and provide 2 things. normal light, and close up light. the fact that the A2 is regulated makes things even better.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

You mean besides the option of getting 2 different lights?

A very powerful one combined with a key-chain model that's less so. :D

greenLED

Flashaholic
:crackup:
carrot and greenLED originally started the A2 rage by providing good info and application uses...thats really about it.
Woa! Hold on a second. I can't take credit for something I didn't do; I just took a buncha pics.

Seriously, for me, JS and his first A2 review that first got me interested. Then carrot started following me around with that baiting sigline of his... it all went downhill from there. :D

Illum

Flashaholic
edited for that matter ;)

the A2 is still a wonderful light despite newer LED lights. keep in mind, its a regulated incandescent *ooooh *ahhhh

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully I can get my A2 soon if once I raise the funds... and when Aviatrix rings start going back into production heh...

All these A2 threads lately about the incan beam and LED beam makes me a little unsure!! But I still kinda want one since it's like a collector's item! With incandescent flashlights slowly fading out of existence and being regulated as well!

btw... after all my thread searches I haven't really found a definitive answer on how the switch works. How fast can you switch the incan beam on if you needed it really quick? I like my L4 since it's instant... does having the 2-mode Aviatrix ring affect how fast you can get into incandescent beam mode?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
btw... after all my thread searches I haven't really found a definitive answer on how the switch works. How fast can you switch the incan beam on if you needed it really quick? I like my L4 since it's instant... does having the 2-mode Aviatrix ring affect how fast you can get into incandescent beam mode?

If you're in a situation where you think you'll need the incan really quickly, you can preset the tail cap so all you have to do is mash down hard on the button and you'll get the incan setting. I bought an A2 for my friend while he was out of town, and spent a day playing with the switch; it makes sense once you use it. It's probably one of the more practical lights on the market, and if you don't like it, you can turn around and sell it here without much of a loss!