Votes: 4 2.9%
  • No

Votes: 123 89.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 10 7.3%

• Total voters

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reports indicate that Novatac windows will be a plastic material and will not be user serviceable. I can think of many reasons against this move and few reasons for. I'd like to contact Novatac and link them to what CPF thinks of this issue. Please take the poll and tell Novatac what you think.

**Edit - latest update 11July**
Jim Schecter, Director Support Services has assured me that the bezel will be able to removed with a reasonable amount of effort.

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't buy a car where they welded the hood shut and required me to take it to the dealer for servicing. :thumbsdow
Modding the light with a fancy bezel and lens of my choice is half the fun. It also creates a secondary market for more profit possibilities called "accessories."

Replacing a scratched or broken lens myself would be faster and cheaper than shipping a light back and forth to Novatac even if it was covered under warranty.

Please Novatac, just say no to glue!:mecry:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
after novatac has to fix a few hundred of there lights because of scatched lens they might just change this glue thing!:twothumbs

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
100% No votes so far. I agree - no glue - it's not like it will fall off. My HDS has never come loose. For military I could almost see it but even then things should be field serviceable.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reports indicate that Novatac windows will be a plastic material and will not be user serviceable. I can think of many reasons against this move and few reasons for. I'd like to contact Novatac and link them to what CPF thinks of this issue. Please take the poll and tell Novatac what you think.

Dave, where did you see this about possibly gluing the bezels--or even having the bezels non-user serviceable? I'm sure I haven't read everything that has been out here on this but, I have read quite a few posts and don't remember seeing that. While I haven't found myself replacing windows on any of my lights with any degreee of regularity, I have installed custom bezels on most with this same design including HDSs and Arc 4+s. I'd sure prefer to be able to do the same with the Novatac lights as well. Where was it?:confused:

Karl

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Dave, thanks for starting this thread - I completely agree with you.

Karl, someone (can't remember who) contacted Novatac who confirmed the bezels were sealed on with Loctite, IIRC. Not impossible to get off, but difficult. Recce556 did a very good review_of_the_EDC-120T and managed to get his bezel off to measure it.

Last edited:

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
Well, when I talked with Jim sometime back in April or May, he specifically advised me that the bezel ring of the new Novatac would be compatible with existing HDS lights. This info was in a thread I started back then, but can't find it now. Moreover, he also stated that they would probably be selling them as an accessory item in the future. Based upon that data, it would seem to be some what counter productive to glue the bezel ring in place. Unless things have changed during the past few months, I'll tend to go with what he said.

Bob

Last edited:

knot

Banned
I think they should weld it shut because I'll never buy a $100 flashlight. uh oh, was it something I said? :sick2:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'll concede to those better informed than I. As I indicated, I'd prefer they weren't glued, sealed or otherwise user non-removeable. I'd prefer to be able to remove them.

Karl

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, presuming that's a quote from Novatac and I guess it is, there's the answer...thanks.

Karl

DM51

Flashaholic
Dave, I still think it is definitely worth going ahead with this poll and your plan to send a message to Novatac.

If you drop a light on its bezel, that is often enough to deform it slightly, and it is then sometimes very hard to get the bezel off to replace it or to change the lens. If the bezel has been factory-sealed on with Loctite too, which we now know is Novatac's intention, that just makes the problem a whole lot worse, and it could be a major PITA trying to get a damaged one off.

None of us want to have to send lights back to the manufacturer for minor repairs unless we really have to, and certainly not to get things like this fixed when we we could do it ourselves.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added Novatac contact info to the first post. I also emailed them my thoughts and a link to this thread. I encourage you to email as well, as they may not read the link.

my email:
Dear Novatac,
I have a EDC 120P on pre-order through Lighthound. Early reports indicate that Novatac windows will be a plastic material and will not be user serviceable. Please make this a user serviceable item, by not putting loctite on the bezel ring. I would much rather be able to buy and replace a scratched or broken lens myself. Even if I had to purchase the part myself it would be faster and cheaper than shipping a light back and forth to Novatac even if the replacement item was free.

Also being able to customize the light with a fancy bezel and lens of my choice is half the fun of owning a quality light. The original HDS light came with a low profile aluminum ring, it was the after after market crowd that came up with a better design that protected the edge from impacts and had scallops that allow light to escape if the light is accidentally put lens down. This "after market" design has been incorporated into your current line up as an improvement. Please don't try to stifle innovation that could ultimately improve your product. Making the bezel user replaceable also creates a secondary market called "accessories" that Novatac could provide for more profit possibilities.

A recent poll in Candle Power Forums CPF indicates the vast majority of potential Novatac buyers would prefer the bezel and lens to be user serviceable.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/168955

Sincerely,
David *Edit out*
Future Novatac Owner

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
i remember reading here that there were no threads in the bezel area, so even if you removed it you would have to glue it back.

i tried to find that thread but couldn't. iirc, it was someone who had quoted from Novatac.

EDIT: just found the thread and was wrong, the bezel head has threads.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was me, this is what Novatac wrote when I asked if the lens kit for my B42 would work on the P85.

Hi Kelly,

The lens would fit but the crenulated lens nut on your new light will
be
locked in position and not removable. The lens nut wrench will have no
effect on the new nut as there are no grooves.

Thanks for your order. You will really like your new light.

Thanks,

Jim Schecter
Director Support Services
NovaTac, Inc.
2302 E. Speedway Suite 211
Tucson, AZ 85719
[email protected]
www.novatac.com
520 881-5800

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
kelmo, yes it was your post.

but i was mistaken there are threads in the head but no grooves for the tool to fit.

x2x3x2

Banned
LOL, there was someone who actually voted for "Yes"?
I would like to know what their take on it is :D