Fenix Orange peel Reflector upgrades?

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
So about a month ago I purchased two P3D-crees and now they have the orange peel version. Can I purhase an orange peel reflector for this light?

wintermute

Enlightened
You can order one modified by 4sevens now - and the actual replacement reflector from Fenix is coming soon.

wintermute

Enlightened

Keep in mind - very difficult to open the heads. But, there's a thread about it here. Long story short, get some 7/8" tubing from the auto parts store to protect everything and use 1) vice and bionic wrench (best), 2) vice and channel locks, or 3) two pairs of channel locks (this is what I did, but it was hard). Bionic wrenches look like the whip, I've only heard good things about them from others on this board.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I've found these strap wrenches very useful. Picked them up at costco a while back. Made by Mastergrip, they open newer fenix heads without heat. Even the P1D opened right up. No risk of crimping as no channel locks or vice grips are needed.
That's a P3d in between.

strapwrenchrr6.jpg
[/URL]
By shakeylegs[/IMG]

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sell yours and buy the new ones. Opening voids the warrenty and its a Pain the the @$$, unless the ones you have are real easy to open (which is rare)

wintermute

Enlightened
I've found these strap wrenches very useful. Picked them up at costco a while back. Made by Mastergrip, they open newer fenix heads without heat. Even the P1D opened right up. No risk of crimping as no channel locks or vice grips are needed.
That's a P3d in between.

strapwrenchrr6.jpg
[/URL]
By shakeylegs[/IMG]
I tried strap wrenches until I was blue in the face. Put the head in a heat resistant plastic bad, put in boiling water, pulled out (working with gloves since the unit was 100C), and the strap wrenches still didn't work.

But you are correct. First, you should try the strap wrenches - they won't bugger up the anodizing. If they don't work - go back to my list: 1) vice and bionic wrench (best), 2) vice and channel locks, or 3) two pairs of channel locks (this is what I did, but it was hard).

The amount of glue on the threads just varies from unit to unit. Similarly, the amount of glue holding the emitter on the head varies as well. Good luck in whatever you do, but you could easily sell the units for a $5-$8 loss on the marketplace forum and just buy ones with the OP reflector installed.

Regarding the warranty - I really could care less about that because I wanted a bin color of my choosing. I really think it's dumb that the warranty is voided because you take the head off. :thumbsdow

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my L1D and P3D heads both came apart with 2 fat rubber bands and some good ole' hard twisting with my hands. I am looking forward to getting a couple of the new reflectors, and when the time comes....replacing the led's with newer ones.

Last edited:

big beam

Enlightened
Well, my L1D and P3D heads both came apart with 2 fat rubber bands and some good ole' hard twisting with my hands. I am looking forward to getting a couple of the new reflectors, and when the time comes....to replacing the led's with newer ones.

That's my plan too.Getting the head off is the hardest part.Now all we need is some R bins and MOP reflectors:twothumbs

DON

ltanzil

Newly Enlightened
I used the mastergrip to open the p3d head. it is very easy. and to change the relector you need a long nose plier.

anyway to change the reflector is not difficult

Stream

Enlightened
Does anyone know how much throw is sacrificed with the new orange peel reflectors?