$100 lego... Perfect EDC?

abinok

Newly Enlightened
With regards to an EDC light, Ive been thinking a lot lately about the issue of a light having utility, as opposed to being versatile. By this I mean a light that is useful, as opposed to one that can perfectly fill a couple of roles... but through this versatility, it becomes unsuited for general use.

So i set out the requirements for what I see as the perfect edc:
100+ lumens
multiple levels
slim form factor for ease of edc
small enough to disappear into a pocket, but still have enough runtime to run for days in an emergency.
its gotta eat rechargeables... because I hate buying those expensive lithium primaries...
but then again, those lithium primaries would come in handy since they have a super long shelf life...
but yet again, some places, lithiums can be hard to come by, so maybe alkalines would be best, since they are cheap, and you can get them anywhere.

When it hit me... ive almost already got it!
spread1.jpg

spread2.jpg

When I want to throw it in a pocket and forget it, attach the 1X123 tube. If I want all the modes feed it 123 primaries... if I want max brightness, feed it a RCR123.
Don't mind a little bigger? Stick a 1XAA body on. Still fits easily in a pocket, but gives better runtime than the Lithium. Close to home and using it a lot? Feed it NIMH rechargeables. Going out, or storing it until the next power outage hits? Lithium AAs. using it on a trip camping, or going to be a field with it for a long time... feed it some Alkalines when things get dim.
Don't need to be super tiny, but need more runtime? Thread on a 2XAA body. Pounds out the light on max, but it will last an entire WEEK of nights using it continuously, all night every night, on a pair of batts, and more than 2 days of continuous use. On top of that, it will STILL eat 3 different types of battery chemistries!

Now then, I said almost perfect... and heres why.
Input voltage: If this light could stay in regulation from 1volt, up to say, 4.5volts, that would allow all modes with a RCR123... or better yet, a 2X123 body that would fit a 17670, or 18650.

Tailcap: if there was a forward clicky available for this light, it would allow it to serve the roles that many of my surefires do. At least you can lock out the light with a quick twist to the tailcap.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't get much better as far as I'm concerned. Put a couple of caps from my wifes vanity cabinet on the two unused bodies so I can keep the batteries in them, and I'm good to go. The ability to have the three different configurations available is of great value to me for the same reasons as abinok mentioned. Just a darned nice light system. And, when I'm feeling brave, I can pop the L1D head on the P3D body and
yikes.gif
.....Talk about bright.

BTW....I'm partial to the AA E2 Lithiums. I carry extras if I need them, and I have plenty of nihms if I need them, but I prefer the shelf life, run times, and extra voltage of the E2's.

........................P3D Turbo.............................................P3D with L1D head....................
p3dl1dcomparisonrm4.jpg

fenixtrionp2.jpg

dsc04115vw4.jpg

Last edited:

Eskimonio

Newly Enlightened
Abinok,

What's the setup on that blue MagLight you have hanging out over there?

abinok

Newly Enlightened
Thats a Cree Aspherical mag.
Monsterous LED thrower.
Ive got 2 more lenses here to build lights around... and then no more. All the 37mm focal length lenses in the world it seems are gone :(

Ace12

Enlightened
L1D head on a P3D????? Interesting.....

Will the higher voltage of the P3D damage the L1D head????

How is the runtimes with this setup???????

I may need to buy an L1D and make me a superLight.:thumbsup:

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Abinok,

If you don't mind my asking - where did you get the plastic caps for the fenix bodies to keep the batteries from falling out?

Doug P.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need some case's for your cells. Loose CR123's in a bag are like running with the bull's while holding grenade's with loose pins. I think DX and Kaidomain both have the cases.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3258

Thanks for the link. I think I will be getting several sets. Just out of curiosity though, why is it such a concern to carry loose batteries?

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Abinok,

If you don't mind my asking - where did you get the plastic caps for the fenix bodies to keep the batteries from falling out?

Doug P.

Hi Doug,

The caps are from various pump spray bottles in my wifes vanity cabinet. They come in very handy for both being able to just leave the batteries in the bodies, and some of them make great diffusers.:twothumbs

GregY

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link. I think I will be getting several sets. Just out of curiosity though, why is it such a concern to carry loose batteries?

Just from reading here I've learned that, w.r.t. lithium primaries, physical abuse (banging it around enough to dent or ding it) can, and accidental shorting *will* result in the release of toxic, flammable and corrosive byproducts and possibly fire/explosion.

There are lots of threads here with photographic evidence of the results.

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just from reading here I've learned that, w.r.t. lithium primaries, physical abuse (banging it around enough to dent or ding it) can, and accidental shorting *will* result in the release of toxic, flammable and corrosive byproducts and possibly fire/explosion.

There are lots of threads here with photographic evidence of the results.

Thanks for the answer. I guess a protective case for the couple of spare batteries I carry in my pocket is in order, but the picture I posted of the case full of batteries doesn't get carried around. It just sits in my office and I thought it was a good place to keep all my batteries together.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteries can accidentally short out if loose like that - I remember reading (I think on here infact) about battery disposal bins, and an event where the bin caught fire due to a shortout. Yes the batteries should have been flat if they were in the bin but who knows.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Doug,

The caps are from various pump spray bottles in my wifes vanity cabinet. They come in very handy for both being able to just leave the batteries in the bodies, and some of them make great diffusers.:twothumbs

Oops - Thanks Bond - thought it was Abinok's post.

Ace12

Enlightened
Batteries can accidentally short out if loose like that - I remember reading (I think on here infact) about battery disposal bins, and an event where the bin caught fire due to a shortout. Yes the batteries should have been flat if they were in the bin but who knows.

The local store where i buy my cr123's keeps them in a glass fish bowl. They dont seem to be concerned with them shorting against each other. I have never had any problems with the batteries either.

Dobbler

Enlightened
The local store where i buy my cr123's keeps them in a glass fish bowl. They dont seem to be concerned with them shorting against each other. I have never had any problems with the batteries either.

Nice. Glass shrapnel.

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
I have never had any problems with the batteries either.

...yet.

You can carry batteries loose for a long time without encountering a short. I did, in my pants pocket. I knew there was a theoretical danger. One day there was enough change & crap in there to make it happen. Owwwwww! It's surprising how difficult it can be to get hot stuff out of your pocket in a hurry.

No real harm done, but I don't carry loose batteries in circumstances where they can short anymore.

w

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Continuing to go off topic but:

I used to carry loose cells in my pocket, usually 4 AAs at a time or so, and at one point I even stored them loose in a metal tin, I am very lucky I have had nothing happen from doing that.

Once I did manage to short out a low capacity NiMH AA cell while trying to rig something - I burnt my fingers a bit :( and that was only for a few seconds - now imagine if it goes on for longer, and what if it's a CR123A? I don't wanna think about it.

Play it safe, please :)

I am using plastic cases that I got for free when I ordered my eneloops from an ebay seller, he sells them loose: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BATTERY-CASE-for-4-AA-or-AAA-NiCd-NiMH-pack-of-2_W0QQitemZ7529455851QQihZ017QQcategoryZ15215QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

wintermute

Enlightened
Kai has:

CR123A/RCR123A Battery Case - 1 for $0.95 shipped
CR123A/RCR123A Battery Case - 4 pack for $1.99 shipped
AA Battery Case - 1 for $1.04 shipped
AA Battery Case - 10 pack for $4.99 shipped

Might want to get some battery cases for all of those loose batteries. I ordered a bunch for myself recently. For $1 shipped for an AA case, you can't beat it, and they're each only 50 cents each if you buy in quantity. If you're in the UK...it's even cheaper, since the dollar is so friggin weak. You could spend $10 and have cases for all of your batteries.

Last edited: