Anyone seen the new LED Rayovacs?

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
I happened to pass by a local Kmart and saw a 3 watt, 2 AA LED Rayovac for $29.99. Looks like a Nuwai type flashlight. The package reports 80 lumens, but I suspect the claims are a bit exaggerated. Anyway, they come with a handy pocket clip and lanyard. Anyone have one of these yet?

Flashlight_product_lux2aa3w-b.jpg

Flashlight_product_lux2aa3w-b_np.jpg

Last edited:

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Target has the same light but its "made" by River Rock and its covered in camo. Its decent, but nothing "new".

Just my $.02
Roger

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure looks like a dead ringer for a Nuwai X-3. My X-3 measured about 38 lumens in a Quickbeam-type box, and increased to about 106 after changing the emitter to an SSC P4. I've seen just about a 2X improvement with every other light I've modded, so either the original LED was unusually inefficient or the SSC emitter voltage was different enough to cause the regulator to give it more current. I didn't measure the current before and after the mod, unfortunately. It has a nice beam with a lot of throw, and solid construction.

c_c

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious - how did you change the LED out? Is the black ring surrounding the emitter removable? I was looking to pick one of these up to swap out the LED, but was told the black ring was not removable.

BTW, I've read on CPF that K-Mart sells 2 versions, a 1W and a 3W version. 1W has longer runtime. Wal-Mart sells the same light as K-Mart, the 3W version. I think Quickbeam's test of the Nuwai X3 tested somewhere around 50-60 lumens...pretty good for a Lux3.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious - how did you change the LED out? Is the black ring surrounding the emitter removable? I was looking to pick one of these up to swap out the LED, but was told the black ring was not removable. . .
It's just a piece of plastic that snaps into place, and easy to pry out.

c_c

justmyluck

Newly Enlightened
Curious - how did you change the LED out? Is the black ring surrounding the emitter removable? I was looking to pick one of these up to swap out the LED, but was told the black ring was not removable.

BTW, I've read on CPF that K-Mart sells 2 versions, a 1W and a 3W version. 1W has longer runtime. Wal-Mart sells the same light as K-Mart, the 3W version. I think Quickbeam's test of the Nuwai X3 tested somewhere around 50-60 lumens...pretty good for a Lux3.

I too have seen these "80" lumen versions in one of the local Walmart super centers, but was too lazy to take it to a price check station to check the price. It was new enough it hadn't even been put on a peg, just a few of them left together at the bottom shelf.

Eric

lumenal

Enlightened
There are a few new Rayovac and no-name LED lights appearing at the local Wal*Mart Supercenter.

In fact, at least 40% of the flashlight section is on clearance.

The section bigwig told me they are revamping the flashlight section - stay tuned for some surprises... :whistle:

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one a few days ago from WM ($24.95). I have Dorcy Metal Gear lights mounted on a couple of my guns and they have very close to the same amount of throw as the Rayovac (3 watt). If the Metal Gear lights are putting out the claimed 45 lumens then I'm going to say that the Rayovac is probably about 60 lumens. Thats for overall not just throw. My Dorcy's light up a person pretty well out to 100-110 feet. The Rayovac is a tad brighter at that distance but doesn't really work any better any further out.

Latest posts