Fenix P3D 1 hour on turbo

jeremyison05

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix successfully survived a hour long trip today on turbo. I ended up in a cave and found my self wishing for a good incan but only a p3d that I EDC. We were out at the lake and some people thought it would be a good idea to explore the cave on the other side. Between us all we had was a glow stick, a 2D MagLed and my P3D. And while everyone was astounded by how far we could see in the cave with my P3D alone I knew we would of been much better served by the ROP with a Low bulb that I'm currently building. But that aside, my P3D ran for a solid hour on turbo while we were walking around in this cave with no signs of damage. As a matter of fact, it barely got hot.

Just thought I would share with you, as there have been several posts of concern about running the P3D on turbo.

UWAK

Enlightened
Do you mean "barely got hot" is you still can hold it with your hand comfortably? Thx.

Frids

wintermute

Enlightened
My L2D CE gets reasonably warm to hold after just a few minutes on Turbo, but that just tells me that it's getting good thermal transfer from the LED, i.e. good. I would be a little worried if it didn't get quite warm at 1hr on Turbo. I've also estimated that the emitter is getting ~950-980mA on Turbo, so maybe my L2D is just balls out.

shining

Newly Enlightened
After sufficiently long run the light will become warm independently of the rate of led to body heat transfer. The energy cannot accumulate inside the body. The steady state temperature of the light will depend exclusively on the heat dissipation of the led and not on its temperature. Heat transfer rate will only influence the time when this temperature is reached.

My L2D CE gets reasonably warm to hold after just a few minutes on Turbo, but that just tells me that it's getting good thermal transfer from the LED, i.e. good. I would be a little worried if it didn't get quite warm at 1hr on Turbo. I've also estimated that the emitter is getting ~950-980mA on Turbo, so maybe my L2D is just balls out.

Ace12

Enlightened
I got my P3D in today. It's not as bright as I thought it owuld be. My Streamlight 2L 3 watt luxeon is advertised at 77 lumens. I can hardly tell the difference between it and my new P3D, wich advertises 160 lumens :shrug:

Also, I thought fenix lights had a lifetime warranty like Streamlight does. I read the fine print and it says they will charge for repairs after 1 year.

Last edited:

wintermute

Enlightened
I got my P3D in today. It's not as bright as I thought it owuld be. My Streamlight 2L 3 watt luxeon is advertised at 77 lumens. I can hardly tell the difference between it and my new P3D, wich advertises 160 lumens :shrug:

Also, I thought fenix lights had a lifetime warranty like Streamlight does. I read the fine print and it says they will charge for repairs after 1 year.
Take $5 off the price you paid and you can resell it now in the marketplace - I can almost guarantee you.

jml90

Newly Enlightened

Wow, is that right?