Thermal properties of fresh and salt water?

kev1-1

Enlightened
I'm interested in the differences between the thermal properties of fresh and salt water...what would make one remain higher in temperature under the same conditions, or the differences in the thermal distribution/structure of the two etc?

Does any one know any good links to info like this?

PS-These new post boxes are much smaller that before AND I miss spell check!!

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Higher in temp? This would be due to a phase change delayed by saline concentration, methinks. The higher the concentration of solute, the higher the temp of the phase change from liquid to vapor (and the lower the temp of phase change from liquid to solid, which is why salting the roads works). Also note that the liquid -> vapor transition is endothermic so that'll absorb some of the heat at the time of transition, but if you're just looking for the temp of transition vs salinity then a phase diagram is what you need (I think it's called a binary phase diagram).

I'd search the web for the following:
"phase diagram" AND "salt water"

Here's one link that covers some practical stuff too with a pretty good phase diagram for salt water (with solution variability) but no vapor phase.

saltwater-phase-diagram.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
This is the kind of stuff submarine people need to know. One of the main differences between salt and fresh water is the density. Different layers of water in the ocean form (alway? sometimes?), I believe called "thermoclines", but that's from my old rusty memory. Anyway, they have different temps and salt levels, and the sound waves bounce funny when they reach these layers - or more probably the boundries between the layers.

The heat capacity of the water would probably change too, with salt level, so it would likely heat and cool at different rates.

kev1-1

Enlightened
<font color="red"> Thanks for the help, Peter & Albany Tom, I'll do a search on a few search engines for the above mentioned! Thanks again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif </font>