SMJLED2 Help!!!

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an LED drop-in for my 2AA PT headlamp and just placed an order for this module through the Sandwich Shoppe. After reading about this module I think I may have just made a serious mistake. It looks like this module has less output and actually uses more power than the previous SMJLED. It appears it also loses 95% of its output in about 250hrs of use.

Is this true? Has this issue been cleared up with design improvements? Is this module even worth bothering with? It said on the site that this is the newest generation of SMJLED2, hinting that it is a modification of the original. I'm confused. All my PT Quest needs in order to be the perfect headlamp is a decent LED module. Its the only headlamp that I know of that uses AA batteries but doesn't require a rear battery pack. What do you think about my purchase?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kind of lost track of SMJLED generations, but IIRC: The original SMJLED PR bulb with a 4 die SMJLED in it was considered pretty good: very efficient and had fairly good lumen maintenance. It could run a few hunded hours with alkalines - whose voltage decreased with time - before loss of brightness became noticeable (50% loss? 200 hours?); with a non-decaying steady 3 V or so source, it might get near 100 hours before hitting 50% degradation. Numbers are approximate - kind of fuzzy here.

The next generation SMJLED2 PR bulb could handle multiple input voltages, but one CPFer claimed that it had worse lumen maintenance. The post that kicked it off is here, and it started a long discussion. You can search for more.

There were then claims that various SMJLED PR bulbs being sold were either the original ones, or improvements over the SMJLED2 PR bulbs, or I forget what. There were also counterclaims that none of these were the case and they were the controversial SMJLED2 PR bulbs, and then it all sort of died down.

Don't know WHAT's out there, now.