Nichia Power LEDs - 4x1?!?!?!?!?!

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Nichia has some power LED's - basically think of a Lux V made by Nichia.

Not for sale to the general public. I saw a pile of them in prototype LED headlamps recently at a tech fair. The quoted spec was (IIRC) 340 lumens at 750 mA. Pretty freaking cool.

At first I was blown away then I realized in the new CREE/Seoul world order this isn't so spectacular - it's 85 lumens per die.

Nominal voltage was 12 or 13 volts.

Anyone know how to get some? I'd love to throw one into a U2 or KL4..

DROOOOOOOOOOL!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have a sample I received but I haven't even opened the package yet. :green:

The one thing that I wanted to point out and the reason I elected to post here is that this LED is not like the LuxV. The Nichia has all four dice wired in series; not the series/ parallel configuration of the Lux V.

I believe the primary target market for these LED's is that of efficient lighting and not max flux. The Nichia rep mentioned that the high Vf of this LED was to allow for drivers to operate in more efficient V-out ranges. The part I am familiar with has a wide (140 deg as I recall) viewing angle and I don't think this is a prime item for flashlight application but that is purely a guess.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Specs I saw were on a .5 watt device rating these at 15 mA with flux in the 20's and efficacy at 100 lum/watt. Likely a different device now that I consider the remembered power above! :oops:

The .5 watt part has a package 3.5 mm square with four dice!

Where's my rock..... :eek: