Energizer AA 2-packs at Sam's Club: $28

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
Bought a pack of these last week - sorry, no pics. Come two to a pack, with 4 batteries for $28 and change. This time, they have done it right (referring to the Element - a great light, but the AAA battery carrier was it's achilles heel.) The writing on the packaging says 80 lumens - probably optimistic. However, I will say that in my highly scientific "shine into the woods" test, they have reach and brightness second only to my LED-Beams. Uses two AAs inserted into tailcap. Clickie tail switch. Beam is somewhat focusable - best results are obtained at tightest focus, with small hotspot and usable spill beam. Rechargeables give a very usable bright light - I can't tell how much less if any than alkalines. The packaging does not mention lithiums. With such a high output, I assumed these lights would be hard on the batteries. I decided to take some really spent AAs out of a first generation LED light that lives in our entertainment center shelf, which is only bright enough to illuminate the TV and DVD remotes. I wanted to see if the old batteries would light up the Energizer AA at all. To my surprise, these made the Energizer AA light shine at near full brightness - no comparison to the dim output of the old LED light.

Pros:
-AA Batteries
-Cost $13/each
-Work well with rechargeables
-Smaller and shorter than other AA lights
-Focusable
-Clickie tail switch
-Solid all-metal construction, well built

Cons:
-No lanyard attachment
-Rolls on flat surfaces