Got my Ultrafire B3 AAA LOP clone

jur

Newly Enlightened
I got my Ultrafire B3 yesterday. Popped in an AAA Eneloop and it's an impressive little bugger. Tint is bluish. Finish is quite good. For $10, this is a great deal! I won't be worrying about scratching it up. No messing with multiple brightness levels.

Only I didn't get my 2 gifts as promised by DX, due to the erroneous description of being a Luxeon rebel LED. Unless you count the attached lanyard and the plastig baggie as the 2 gifts. Ah hang on! The packaging! Gift #3!

jur

Newly Enlightened
I looked into the back of the head, and I can't see how to remove the inner works - no holes to engage needle-nosed pliers into. I see the back of the contact PCB, no holes in it.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked into the back of the head, and I can't see how to remove the inner works - no holes to engage needle-nosed pliers into. I see the back of the contact PCB, no holes in it.

From the DX pics, it looks like the head is two pieces that screw together. :thinking:

Edit: hmmm, maybe not. Maybe it's a press fit...?

Last edited:

jur

Newly Enlightened
I'll look into the 2 pieces idea, a reviewer at DX mentions red Loctite. :thinking:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll look into the 2 pieces idea, a reviewer at DX mentions red Loctite. :thinking:

I think the joint is right before the first knurled section on the head, but that's a total guess, mine's still on the way.

Last edited:

jur

Newly Enlightened
Remarkable. I looked at the head through a magnifier, concluded there is no joint. Then after your post with photo, I looked at that dark line, still concluded no joint. Although looking extremely closely, I had to admit there was the slightest difference between the two sides of that ridge. So I gave it another hard twist, and it came off! :party:

Photos coming.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remarkable. I looked at the head through a magnifier, concluded there is no joint. Then after your post with photo, I looked at that dark line, still concluded no joint. Although looking extremely closely, I had to admit there was the slightest difference between the two sides of that ridge. So I gave it another hard twist, and it came off! :party:

Photos coming.

Alright! I guess that's pretty good build quality if it's hard to find a seam. :thumbsup:

jur

Newly Enlightened
DSCN0493.jpg

DSCN0492.jpg

jur

Newly Enlightened
Some observations:

The reflector is aluminium. The lens is glass. The LED has no clear dome, it looks like bare phosphor, perhaps with a protective clear varnish.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Any idea on how big the disc the emitter is on? Maybe room for a Cree mini star? Would the optics be optimal for a Cree? Or maybe a Rebel but how hard are they to solder?

jur

Newly Enlightened
Yes it is the Luxeon PWT. I am guessing the reflector would work as is for a Rebel. The rest of the body looks like the other Ultrafires of which SSC and Cree mods have been posted.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea on how big the disc the emitter is on? Maybe room for a Cree mini star? Would the optics be optimal for a Cree? Or maybe a Rebel but how hard are they to solder?

Rebels aren't that hard to solder, and should fit much better than a cree. I built this.

smDSC01962.JPG