Surefire L1 Lumamax 2nd Gen

Flashlight Enthusiast
i saw this available on lapolicegear and want to know if its worth the buy. Mainly because it says its pushing 65 lumens on one lithium battery and i have the fenix lights such as the P1DCE which pushes 135 lumens at max. What kind of led is supposed to be in the new Surefires, if it is a cree why such a low output ?

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
i saw this available on lapolicegear and want to know if its worth the buy. Mainly because it says its pushing 65 lumens on one lithium battery and i have the fenix lights such as the P1DCE which pushes 135 lumens at max. What kind of led is supposed to be in the new Surefires, if it is a cree why such a low output ?

Yes the ongoing difference between bulb lumens and torch lumens. The P1DCE is actually about 88 Surefire torch lumens, (135 bulb lumens) whereas all other quotes are bulb lumens. The popular formula on CPF is: bulb lumens multiplied by .65 equals torch or Surefire lumens.....so, 65 Surefire lumens is about 100 bulb lumens, only a little bit less than the P1DCE.

Last edited:

o0o

Enlightened
Yes the ongoing difference between bulb lumens and torch lumens. The P1DCE is actually about 88 Surefire torch lumens, (135 bulb lumens) whereas all other quotes are bulb lumens. The popular formula on CPF is: bulb lumens multiplied by .65 equals torch or Surefire lumens.....so, 65 Surefire lumens is about 100 bulb lumens, only a little bit less than the P1DCE.

Is that formula always correct?

My Fenix P1D CE BLOWS away my Surefire 6P in output when tested at night outside--absolutely makes the 6P look like a mouse gun. How can the difference only be 23 lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the led in the the new L1 a cree led or something else , if it is a cree its in a tiros lense which i think i would like to see

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Fenix P1D CE BLOWS away my Surefire 6P in output when tested at night outside--absolutely makes the 6P look like a mouse gun. How can the difference only be 23 lumens?

This formula is approximate and only if you compare identical situations......differences in xenon/led, smooth/textured or narrow/wide reflectors, rechargeable/non-rechargeable batteries etc all add to variations in perceptions of output......so this is only a guide nothing more.

o0o

Enlightened
This formula is approximate and only if you compare identical situations......differences in xenon/led, smooth/textured or narrow/wide reflectors, rechargeable/non-rechargeable batteries etc all add to variations in perceptions of output......so this is only a guide nothing more.

Ah... that must be it.

I have a smooth reflector in my Fenix, and a textured reflector in my SF.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's a Cree L1, then it's a third-gen L1.

1st-gen = fraen optic
2nd-gen = TIR optic (both flat and round bodies)
3rd-gen = Cree

Size15's

Flashaholic
Note that the new L1 has a Cree XR-E LED behind a new TIR optic.
The body has been shortened too.

("TIROS" is a term used only by Inova. SureFire uses "TIR optic")

StinkyButler

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Cree L1 today and it is awesome. It's my first Surefire, and I can see what all the fuss is about with this brand. It's a fantasically well-built little light.

I compared it to my Fenix P2D CE and the hotspot seems a bit bigger, and much, much warmer. It appears (to my eyes, anyway) that the L1 on high (advertised 65 lumens for 1.5 hrs) is brighter than the P2D on high (advertised 80 lumens for 2 hours), but not quite as bright as the P2D on turbo (advertised 135 lumens for 1 hr). The reflector in the L1 is smooth, and the lens is frosted a little bit to smooth out the beam a bit. All-in-all, it seems like a fantastic torch. I'd take some beamshot pictures, but my camera stopped working last week while on vacation (perfect time for a camera to stop working, of course).

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was going to buy it but i just bought a pila with the the codex and cree module so that was a good 160.00, but i think i will get it anyone always got to have more lights

greenstuffs

Banned
The reflectors geometry have a lot to do as well as the finish, fenix uses a smooth reflector which makes it more throwy as well as in a narrower parablolic angle, surefire tend to make their lights more floody. In terms of throw Fenix wins but not in flood, if you want a all throw light there is nothing else than the aespheric mag :D