Best "Bang for the Buck" weapon mounted LED

robpiat

Newly Enlightened
I am new to CPF and have had a hard time figuring out which platforms are suitable for mounting(shock resistant, one hand operating) etc.

I currently have a Falcata and a couple of G2's but wanted to step up to some higher tech LED's. The surefire stuff is way to rich for my blood.

What do you guys recommend?

Dijon

Newly Enlightened
Depends on what weapon but this is what I use and love.

AR15 with Front Sight Rails, Vltor Flashlight mount with a Pentagon L3.

S&W 1911PD with rail and Streamlight TLR1.

Both setups are less $$ than Surefire. I have been fortunate not to have staked my life on them but I would do so.

jtice

Flashaholic
Thats easy, the Streamlight TLR-1
IMG_3451.jpg

I wrote a few comments about it here.
http://www.jtice.com/blogs/glock_19_11-7-06/

Plan to stick a Seoul led in it soon :D

~John

robpiat

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I should have been more clear...This is to be mounted on an AR handguards.

aml

Newly Enlightened
best bang is probably going to be a g2 or g3 with a CREE drop in bulb from Pacific Tactical Solutions, coupled with a viking tactics mount.

Paladin

Enlightened
Sorry I should have been more clear...This is to be mounted on an AR handguards.

This is NOT a great way to go, but if you insist on mounting to your handguard don't expect "excellent" results. Streamlight sells the short rail shown as an M16 mount, and the TLR-1 mounts very securely, while being easily removed for handheld use such as searching without pointing your muzzle. You will need to drill two holes in your handguard.:eek:

The TLR-1 is the bang for the buck leader. At 4 ounces it's also one of the lighter options available. I use one as a backup to my main light on my "heavy Zombie" rifle atached to the rail system at 6 oclock. Another TLR-1 rides my Rem. 870.

Paladin
Captured_2006-3-2_00002.jpg

robpiat

Newly Enlightened
Should have been more clear again....Going to be mounted to MI Mid length 4 rail handguards....

wintermute

Enlightened
Last edited:

JeffW

Newly Enlightened
I have a Wolf-Eyes 6H on my Rock River M4. I have the 170 lumen Cree but I am waiting on a 2-mode 170 Lumen + Strobe. The WE has both a pressure switch and a button for constant on if you need to pull one of your hands away from the weapon.

Mike at PTS should be able to hook you up. Be sure to ask for the CPF discount.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-99-103-108-6329

I use a Insight M3 on the glock in a light adaptable holster.

Melkor

Newly Enlightened
Does it *have* to be an LED?

I regret putting an LED on my gun due to poor color rendition compared to icans. And it isn't like you'll be using it for 30-60mins at a time. Or atleast I haven't - I still have the original batteries in it from about a year ago, and it's 3w, 2x123a (Wolf Eyes if you're wondering). So the increased battery life of LEDs isn't really too important. For me it hasn't been anyway.

Kentuckian

Newly Enlightened
Does it *have* to be an LED?

I regret putting an LED on my gun due to poor color rendition compared to icans. And it isn't like you'll be using it for 30-60mins at a time. Or atleast I haven't - I still have the original batteries in it from about a year ago, and it's 3w, 2x123a (Wolf Eyes if you're wondering). So the increased battery life of LEDs isn't really too important. For me it hasn't been anyway.
I wouldn't hesitate to put a regular Raider on my gun either. https://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-4-16-6022

gearbox

Newly Enlightened
This is NOT a great way to go, but if you insist on mounting to your handguard don't expect "excellent" results. Streamlight sells the short rail shown as an M16 mount, and the TLR-1 mounts very securely, while being easily removed for handheld use such as searching without pointing your muzzle. You will need to drill two holes in your handguard.:eek:

Actually, you can get a Command Arms (CAA) bolt-in rail for use specifically for direct-mount weaponlights and offset light rings. It uses the existing holes in the typical M4/AR15 handguard and comes with neccessary hardware, but you may need to remove or alter the heatshield.

Click here, please.

I have that particular rail but have not used it because I bought it before I found my upper (a railed DPMS M4). I may decide to drill my 870's forend sometime to make use of it.