C-cell emergency light options...what do you have?

jhitch

Newly Enlightened
So I'm looking into getting 3-4 decent c-cell lights to have for emergency situations. My requirements.

1. Not to expensive. They won't see alot of use and I want to be able to loan them out without worrying to much.

2. LED. I want a long run time primarily, doesn't need to be a throw monster but should provide decent light for typical blackout conditions.

Here is what I have been considering.

- 2 or 3 C Mag with some sort of drop in or mod

- Streamlight 3C ProPoly LED (not the luxeon model, want the runtime of the standard LED)

- Streamlight 3C TwinTask

They all seem to be about $30 after any mods so are there any other things I need to take into consideration? Any real life experience with these lights would be appreciated.

Oh, and if you think this a dumb idea and have better suggestions feel free to share.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using a 3D cell LED maglight with C to D adaptors in it. Works great and can handle both kinds of cells for more versatilty.

OceanView

Enlightened
I don't think it's a dumb idea. You get a lot of runtime but in a much more user-friendly size by using C versus D-sized lights.

I have the 4AA Propoly and keep it by my wife's nightstand, instead of the 3C size. For primarily indoors, emergency use, the broad flood of the Propoly is just what I want for a nightstand light, and it is bright enough to use in candle mode to light up a room during a blackout. It's been dropped many times without a hiccup and it can get wet without any fear of malfunction. I have other lights for "bump in the night" use, so the lack of throw is not an issue with a multi-5mm LED light like this for me.

Besides, during a blackout with no ambient light and some dark adapted vision, you really don't need that much light to see remarkably well. In those situations, I find the brighter, more intense hot spot of a Lux/Cree/SSC light to be too intense. The dimmer, more floody light of the Propoly will be easier on the eyes.

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice this was your first post until I read Kelmo's response. Welcome!

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Twintask 3C. I like it alot. Its just so pretty I don't want to loan it out...

Where are my manners, Welcome to CPF!!!

Last edited:

thunderlight

Enlightened
Hi Jhitch,

I also like the 2C Inova radiant. Depending on the emergency, a plastic non-roll configuration is extremely useful. However, the Inova is NOT a safety light. These go on sale from time to time at Target.

Pistolero

Enlightened
If you want to go REALLY cheap, what about those Dorcy LED packs.
Or those cheap $3 or $4 plastic in fluorescent yellow with the cheapest LED dropin you can find.

:D

thunderlight

Enlightened
There are a number of cheap 2D lights that easily become 3C lights when you flip the rear spring around. I like the Eveready/Energizer 2D Industrial for this purpose. About $6 at Home Depot and then you can put in a 3 cell compatible LED dropin. This model has a very good faceted reflector. A cardboard or PVC tube insert will hold the C batteries together. Keeping both ends screwed on tight is probably sufficient, however.

scottaw

Enlightened
Not to be "that guy" but for my emergency lights that don't get a lot of use, i like to use 123A batteries, that way i know they're fresh. BUT, if this is going to be an around the house type emergency light, i keep a bunch of standard maglights around. Don't even worry about a led, the mag incan, even though it gets a lot of crap around here, will give you light in an emergency. I have 4 around my house, and i keep a stock of batteries out of the lights, that way they don't die.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I use a Black 2C Mag w/ MagLED in it for patrolling darkened office floors at night. Been using it for several months now. It needs to be focused for throw, in order to get rid of the donut hole. But even when so focused, there's enough side-spill to light up what's directly in front of you.

Battery changes can be a bit of a pain with the overly stiff tailcap spring. Still, even with regular use, you won't need to change the batteries much. The 2C Mag itself is lightweight and comfortable for a full-size light.

Based on my experience, I recommend it.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Pelican Sabrelight 2000 (3 C cell), or the longer runtime Recoil LED Sabrelight 2010, with glow in the dark bezel shroud. The latter light runs for 50 hours and outputs 32 lumens, according to Pelican, I have one, and the beam is nice and throwy.

v1.jpg

The basic Sabrelights are cheap, durable, available in hard to lose body colours, and as Pelican say "you break it, we fix it - forever". I like the last part !

ledaholic

Enlightened
Acvance auto parts 2 C LED light. It's a great value for 20 bucks. There are several threads here on that light.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican Sabrelight 2000 (3 C cell), or the longer runtime Recoil LED Sabrelight 2010, with glow in the dark bezel shroud. The latter light runs for 50 hours and outputs 32 lumens, according to Pelican, I have one, and the beam is nice and throwy.

v1.jpg

The basic Sabrelights are cheap, durable, available in hard to lose body colours, and as Pelican say "you break it, we fix it - forever". I like the last part !

I second. Pelican lights are tough and dependable. Check this out. That's a Pelican 2000 (incan).
whatmakesaflashlightsaffk0.gif

Gordov2

Enlightened
I have a Mag Lite 7 Cell "C" sized light that I love. I'm actually considering selling it, as it is listed over on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. Here is a Pic:

maglite001sv9.jpg

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have about 40 lights scattered about my house. Almost every room has a light with a fresh set of cells in it. My wife knows how to operate all the switching and knows where I keep the extra cells and lamps. She has her own SF G2 w/BOG 3W drop in and Arc AAA-P in her night stand.

The thought never occured to me to have an emergancy light.

Oh yeah, she is into candles. So we do have lights in every room!

Last edited:

jhitch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions, this forum rules! :twothumbs

cave dave and thunderlight, I really like the idea of C-cells in D lights for the versatility it provides (you never know what size batteries you will have available) I might even pick up some cheap AAA-AA-C-D adaptors I found at greenbatteries.com for mega versatility! ;)

kelmo, I am glad you recommended the twin task, I agree it's quite the looker and I may have to get one just for kicks :naughty:

gordov2, that 7C Mag is a nice piece of work and rare at that..but a bit unwieldy for my needs. Good luck with the sale.

Again, thanks for the welcome...I can already feel my wallet shrinking!:D