Dropped 6P into motor oil

roguesw

Enlightened
Man, i couldnt believe it, was changing the oil in teh car, and accidentally dropped my light into the big container of old oil that i had just drainned from the car (curse these slippery oil) to top everything off, the oil was still hot, almost scalded myself. After much cursing, took out the flashlight and spend the next few minutes cleaning it with automotive cleaner, bad thing, cleaner etched into the lens (not pyrex) and now it is a bit hazy. had to take everytrhing apart as the oil had managed to seep into the tail cap.
I have learned my lesson, need a lanyard. Well, good thing is it is still working.
Des

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lesson that should have been learned is TROUBLE LIGHT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a free lens replacement kit if you call Surefire. Or you can buy it for about $3-$5 elsewhere... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

roguesw

Enlightened
Cheers, i used a rotary polishing tool on my minitool with a very liquid polishing compound and lots of water and slow grind, and i manage to take the haze off.
Des

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The lesson that should have been learned is TROUBLE LIGHT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

"Trouble lights" are aptly named. To quote Peter Egan of Road & Track,

"It's main benefit is to consume 40 watt light bulbs at about the same rate 105-mm howitzer shells might be used during, say, the first few hours of the Battle of the Bulge."

Thumbs DOWN to fragile, corded, cumbersome, hot to the touch, trouble lights! Working under the hood or under a car . . . . just what a good flashlight is meant for, no??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My 6P and E2E/KL1 have both logged underhood/car hours. I find them also highly useful when vaccuuming the car out on winter days . . . they really light up the crevices of a black interior and help me find the sand and crud!

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm definitely in favor of corded trouble lights most of the time when working on cars. Take yesterday for instance. A car club I belong to had a meet at my place and we spent 8-10 hours working on cars out in my shop. Even using some of my most efficient Surefire flashlights, that would have likely meant going through a 12-pack of 123 batteries. No thank you. I have a 40' retractable trouble light mounted to my ceiling with a heavy-duty 40 watt bulb in it. The trick with trouble lights is to never use standard bulbs, because they do blow quickly. Use the heavy-duty bulbs made for garage door openers. They last much, much longer.

For smaller jobs I still like a regular flashlight, but if I'm in my shop and it looks like the task is going to take longer than 5 minutes, I'll use a trouble light every time. Even with the cheap Surefire batteries, I'm not going to waste them when a trouble light will work just as well or better most of the time.

-Keith

Latest posts