? Re $5 Bill With Star...

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
...after the serial number. I've my doubts but promised my daughter I'd query the CPF money experts about her "rare" $5 bill with a star following the serial number. She was told it was worth more to collectors.

I told her it was only worth $4.50 but she didn't bite.:grin2:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a Sliver Certificate rather than being a Federal Reserve Note? (it will be on the top of the note.) If so, it might be of value to some collectors.

Be proud that you didn't raise a gullible daughter ;)

...after the serial number. I've my doubts but promised my daughter I'd query the CPF money experts about her "rare" $5 bill with a star following the serial number. She was told it was worth more to collectors.

I told her it was only worth $4.50 but she didn't bite.:grin2:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Google is your answer friend: "finished sheets (of money) are inspected with machine sensors, and any printing errors, folded paper, inclusion of foreign objects, or other defects are identified. Any bills which are found to be defective are marked for later removal. Such bills are replaced with star notes which are numbered in a different sequence and have a star printed after the serial number."

bexteck

Enlightened
Such bills are replaced with star notes which are numbered in a different sequence and have a star printed after the serial number."

I may be wrong, but I believe that the star notes and the bills they have replaced have the same serial number except for the star. This keeps the serial numbers sequential when the bills are put into circulation while making it easy to see which bills have been replaced.

Since there are not many star notes out there, it may be worth a little more than face value, but probably not much. I would hold on to it and use it as a conversation piece.

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
matrixshaman is correct, or should I say Google is correct! The bills that are replaced are given a new serial number with a star suffix, they will keep a talley of damaged notes then do a run of replacement or star notes starting with serial number 0000 0001 through how ever many need replaced from that mint. The main reason they don't use the original serial number is it would be too time consuming to have the presses reset for each number.
The value of a star note depends on a number of factors, first of course would be condition, a nice crispy bill with no folds or creases is most desirable, a limp bill that resembles tissue will most likely carry just face value. Other factors would be the age (series print) and how many were printed for that series, and the actual serial number, a low number is more desirable. A brand new, uncirculated five dollar bill of a new print may carry a value of up to 150% of the face value, ballpark estimate. And yes, bill collecting is another hobby of mine!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is however, okay to photograph currency. But the Secret Service does take a dim view if you print currency at the same size and in the same colors as the government's version that is in circulation.

The whole phogography issue on the other hand is one that is open to bot moral and legal debate ;)

Also, I think it's illegal to phogograph and print bills. Let's keep this legal, please.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
199650frnsnal00000036stce4.jpg

Burgess

Flashaholic
to LuxLuthor --

Thank you for that VERY interesting link !

:twothumbs

-