For those of us who are basically "end users," what is a "bin"?

jboydjr

Newly Enlightened
I can only speak for myself. I have picked up a lot of information reading the forums, as I am a serious collector, but some of the technical jargon is frankly difficult to follow. The only term I have "Googled" but haven't found an explanation for, is the "Bin" number that is referred to a lot here. I think it just means "a batch." Am I correct? Jim

PS I have Googled under "LED BIN," "Definition of LED, BIN." All I get is "BIN specifications" and the like. I have no idea what is being talked about.

Fenris

Enlightened
Re: For those of us who are basically "end users," what is a "bin"?

It basically describes the maximum possible brightness, tint, forward voltage, and color.

Here is an explaination of luxeon bins. Cree and Seoul bins are alittle different. I'm sure someone else can explain those far better than I.

Last edited:

jboydjr

Newly Enlightened

Thank you! I can't figure out why I couldn't find it myself (never thought it was a "code" I suppose). Anyway, as always, the forum community is the best!
Jim

wintermute

Enlightened

Here is an excellent thread about all of the different bins from Luxeon, SSC, Cree, etc. - including info about Vf, chromaticity, luminous flux, etc. It might be a little out of date (i.e. no info on new R bins from Cree)...but still an excellent resource for info on bin codes.

All the best.